Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Canadian 8mm Mauser?

shoggoth80
United States of America

Canadian 8mm Mauser?

#1 Post by shoggoth80 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:47 pm

So I nabbed a box of mystery 8mm Mauser ammo/ 7.92x57. The headstamp reads 7.92 MM 44. Research tells me that MM is simply millimeters, and doesn't stand for an arsenal. Comparing it to Turk, and Egyptian 8mm, it is visually the same dimensions. Also read that it was made by Dominion Arsenal? There was some story about them being clandestine production, and that they were actually manufactured in the 50s. I got a box of 35 for $10. I'd call that a good price these days. Brass case, copper plated projectile, and black ish primer sealer. No idea if it is Berdan, or Boxer. For that matter, I have never seen it before in my life. I didn't know such a thing existed before today...so that's neat. While I didn't photograph the rounds, here is a pic from a Google search. Center right, exact same as the rounds I picked up today. Dunno if these are rare, or not these days? Read millions of rounds were made like this.
792mm4-.jpg

ammolab
United States of America

Re: Canadian 8mm Mauser?

#2 Post by ammolab » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:51 pm

Very common and inexpensive in the early 1960s as Interarms ended up with the bulk of this ammo. 154 gr Type S lead core ball ammo with Noncorrosive Boxer primers. Originally packed in unmarked 44rd boxes.
Nice ammo and good brass for reloading.

shoggoth80
United States of America

#3 Post by shoggoth80 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:59 pm

Unmarked box sounds right. Lol. The only indication was marker scrolled 8mm on the outside. I got permission to look at it before picking it up. Boxer primed is a bonus. I've saved several berdan cases I'm hoping to try coverting to boxer.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:36 pm

Its great ammo. You have some AP as well. Not common at all.
I've shot tens of thousands of these in my Maxim Guns.
The Britt's and Canadians had the BESA Tank machine gun.
And we were providing China with 8x57mm ammo as well.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

shoggoth80
United States of America

#5 Post by shoggoth80 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:57 pm

The black tip isn't mine, it's just from a pic snagged from google. Mine are all uncolored ball ammo. If I found black tip, I wouldn't want to shoot it because scarcity.

Return to “General Ammunition”