Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Ammo Display Help

ffuries
United States of America

Ammo Display Help

#1 Post by ffuries » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:01 pm

My wife aka CINC Household has decided she wants to make an ammo display shadow box. She wants to display the rounds all of our weapons take. I have about 2/3''s of what we need on hand but there are a few rounds we are short. Decided to put a "HELP ME" post out there and see if anyone has a round or two from the MIA list to help out.

MIA:

.557 Snider-Enfield
.557 Enfield (Minie)
10.4X38 Swiss
44 Special
22 Long
22 Short
8X57 J (8mm Round Nose)
8X50 (8mm original Mannlicher round)

On Hand:

7.62X38
7.62X54
7.62x53 Finnish
7.62X25
7.62X39
7.62X51 NATO
7.7X58 Japanese
7mm
7.5x54 French
8mm Mauser
8mm Mannlicher
303 British
9mm
12 Gauge
44 Magnum
36 Ball
22 LR
30-06
6.5X50 Japanese
557-450 Martini Henry
Last edited by ffuries on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

nrobertb
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Re: Ammo Display Help

#2 Post by nrobertb » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:35 pm

I may be able to help with 3, but are you asking for live rounds or dummy rounds?

ffuries
United States of America

#3 Post by ffuries » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:20 pm

Live or dummy rounds, right now I have live rounds for the ones I have. Wife and I are discussing with a reloading buddy the possibility of safing the rounds.

The reason for the display is I have a lot of visitors that ask what the different calibers are similar to. This way they can have a visual reference of what the different caliber rounds look like, for the weapons I own. Heck even my SIL has no ideal what the majority of the rounds look like.

So it makes a great teaching tool/display.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by RWS » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:03 am

FWIW, I'm thinking that any live ammo will have to be shipped to you via UPS or Fed-Ex. My postmaster told me that postal regulations prohibit the shipment of live ammo via USPS. He may be wrong but I doubt it.

-Bob

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:38 pm

Never , never ship ammo by USPS, they even inspect boxes of books. So if they detect a odd package, they open it for inspection and it's bad news for the sender. Heck, I had a book shipped to me in a turned inside out, USPS priority box, but wrapped in brown paper--- it was opened and because the seller was cheep and incorrectly used a USPS priority box I had to pay the priority rate because the seller incorrectly used a priority box to ship a book at the book rate. So they detect stuff. Lots of their cheep priority boxes split open and its rewrapped with USPS tape indicating "open for inspection or damage".

Live/ Loaded ammunition is considered 1.4S Explosives, and can only be shipped ground courier. And must be labeled as such with a special ORD tag you can print out. That is why you always see ammunition with the ORM-D label affixed to the package when it is shipped to you. Generally they do not leave it at the door in cities, it is a deliver in person thing. However, it depends on the driver. Years ago I was out on a dig for the week and the fed ex guy left 10 spam cans of Mosin ammo at the door. It came monday and :snooty: :snooty: sat for a week in 5 wood crates.

UPS and FedEx are the only way to ship and the box must be sent from a main hub not some secondary source. The box has to be a certain size for the correct size ORM-D tag.

Best bet is to get ammo/cartridge specimens at a gun show where ammo collectors set up- postage will kill you.

You can ship,dummy ammo but you best have a note inside for a USPS postal inspector saving it is inert dummy ammo , not LIVE ammunition, and its shipment conforms to USPS regulations in case it comes up on a scan as something questionable. Most postal people do not know dummy ammo from real. It might be a case of 2 dummies in the same room. Better to ship in a metal container so a scan does not show a bullet shape. But always put a visible orange note into the package warning that it is a dummy grenade or ammunition. Best to photodocument the package & tag :shifty: :shifty: prior to shipping unless you want lawyer fees and a postal hazel.
I had boxes of gun parts opened to see if a receiver was being shipped. The USPS places a note or tape saying the box was opened for inspection. Actually it is always best to have the shipping address on the inside with your return address if the outside tag become unreadable on all insured packages who ever you ship with. Too much stuff gets damaged or lost. Those item really get tossed around during shipping. Time is money.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Return to “General Ammunition”