Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

7mm Mauser ammo info request

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

7mm Mauser ammo info request

#1 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:45 pm

Has anyone fired any of this FN 1936 7mm Mauser ammunition? It was $30 a box of 100 so I got two boxes just for the bullets, but has any one fired any of this stuff- does it have dead primers, case splits, hang fires? I am keeping one for display. All we have is snow in WI, 8 inches on Sunday and another 5" today expected, so I am not going to get out to the range till its gone. Libertytreecollectors has some of the later stuff, but at a crazy price $75+ shipping almost a $100 a box??????? One would assume its from Venezuela. Anyone fire this stuff in your 7mm Chilean or Brazilian mausers? I am hoping it's good ammo so I can buy more. Cheeper than reloading. Nice corrosive stuff.
IMG_1405.JPG
IMG_1406.JPG
IMG_1407.JPG
IMG_1408.JPG

Here is a similar7mm Mauser ammo, but FN 46 later dated stuff: https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... dcategory=
Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 11.38.20 AM.png
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: 7mm Mauser ammo info request

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:18 pm

This must have been the original source of this stuff:
https://gun.deals/product/7mm-mauser-7x ... d-box-2995

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 2.13.02 PM.png
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

ammolab
United States of America

#3 Post by ammolab » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:36 am

That older FN 7mm is Some of SAMCOs ammo imports. The 1969-1970 FN 7x57mm 140gr FMJBT was outstanding. Noncorrosive, sure fire and accurate. I won our NM Milsurps 800yard match last month with the 69 FN ammo (1908 Mauser).

Let us know how the RN ammo shoots for you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:05 pm

That older FN 7mm is Some of SAMCOs ammo imports.

Well, I got around to digging out and finally found my 7mm, 1895 Chilean Mausers and fired off a box of 100 rounds today. Kind of a joke at the range. The few out there gave me plenty of room on my side of the range. The ammo is dated 1936, so it's 82 years old. It is definately showing its age: 17 no fires, and about 50% of what did fire are hang fires, a few as long as 15-20 seconds- down right dangerous due to such a long burn delay. Good accuracy on the 39 that went bang when it should. They hit the CMP target at 100 yards. The rest is good for flinching tests- like shooting a flint lock. With this stuff you best wait one minute prior to opening the bolt on misfires. Some are long on the burn. Then, a kaboom. The bullet tips clean up a bore and are good for reloading. This ammo is great as collector boxes due to the old round tips, or for pulling bullets and powder to reload Prvi 7mm brass. It's worth about $20-25 a box. No way is this stuff worth $80-100 a box. For sure fire ammo, this is not the stuff. Buy Prvi 7mm. I saved the empty cartridges and put the brass back in the box for display. There were no brass splits, good brass, but it is also Berdan primed. So as a cheep source of bullets its ok, as shooter ammo it is BAD NEWS. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: The primers are age deteriorated. Brass seems fine, but best to reanneal if one actually wanted to reload it.

It reminds me of old 1920s Lebel ammo where it does not fire or I remember one round where it did not fire, I waited about 10 seconds, then made the mistake of setting the rifle down on the table and about a few seconds lated it went Ka BOOM. A real long, 20 second or so delay on the primer burn. That was crazy. With old garbage wait at least a entire minute, before ejecting a round, and never set a rifle down with a misfire round in the chamber with this stuff. That lebel incident started a new rule at the range. One minute on misfires. Then stop using that ammo. Today there were only two others all friends at the range. Otherwise, I would not have shot the box off. Actually only 3 rounds out of the 100 were long burn, approximately 10-20 seconds. All others were normal hang fires like old British .303 or the Yugo 1950s 8mm mauser- just that there were no case splits. It must have been high quality brass.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by Rapidrob » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:30 pm

15 to 20 seconds? Good Lord. You need to do a cell phone vid of that. A record has been set that I have never seen in my lifetime of shooting! I have never witnessed a hang-fire that was longer than 3 seconds.
If you were to open the bolt just as pressure was building.....
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

ammolab
United States of America

#6 Post by ammolab » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:29 pm

All reports on that particular batch of 7mm have been poor.

Not all ammo of that vintage is crappy. My daughter's boyfriend just shot our NM Milsurp match with 1939 mfg Kynoch 7x57 ball ammo. 43 rounds fired without a hangfire or other issue. He did well and had much fun.

Quality of mfg, packaging, storage conditions...so many factors effect how your older surplus ammo may perform.

Return to “General Ammunition”