Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

How desirable is 9mm largo?

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

How desirable is 9mm largo?

#1 Post by FamilyFirearms » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:13 am

Ok, for some reason I just had to have a Astra 400 and of course it is in the Largo caliber. I got it at an auction and seen a can with a bunch of Blazer ammo as well but got the gun not the ammo. I looked up on their site and sure enough they no longer sell it as well as most every other place who used to. I knew it cost more or would only be old corrosive stuff and that was why I stayed away from the Star pistols in this caliber even though I have a couple in 9mm and .45 and love them.

Ok, now to my point. I have a friend who owns a company who remanufactures ammo for all of the point blank ranges and makes new ammo as well (new cases and components). I asked him if he could do a run of 9mm Largo for me and what it would have to be to make it worth his while. He told me 100 so I said I could do 100 boxes, he said no, 100 cases :o How desirable do you think the ammo would be at a reasonable price? The stuff I do see for sale is $50 a box which I do not think is reasonable.

Yes I know it can be handloaded with same available components or reloaded.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: How desirable is 9mm largo?

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:03 am

There is a need for quality ammo if the price is right. No more than 20 cents a round.
The case is easy to make from .38 Super brass which is easy to find, most Astras will cycle well with this brass.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

ammolab
United States of America

#3 Post by ammolab » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:36 pm

Starline sells 9 Largo brass and your buddy could load it on his 9mm Luger line with no need for new dies/equipment (just adjustment).

PCI is a firm like your buddies. They make 9mm Largo. Graf & Sons has it in stock.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... ctId/25348

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

#4 Post by FamilyFirearms » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:26 am

We checked into starline and in bulk, it is 12cents a case. He has the same machines as hornady uses for their custom ammo and would have their own dies and set up which he would not charge me for.

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

#5 Post by FamilyFirearms » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:31 am

I checked your link and $34.00 a box is pricey to me ( not that it is, I am cheap). I was hoping to get it under $25 a box.

AGB-1
United States of America

#6 Post by AGB-1 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:33 am

There is no more cheap Largo ammo.

ammolab
United States of America

#7 Post by ammolab » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:14 pm

FamilyFirearms wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:31 am
I checked your link and $34.00 a box is pricey to me ( not that it is, I am cheap). I was hoping to get it under $25 a box.
Well then, you will need to buy 2000 boxes from your buddy to get it that cheap.

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

#8 Post by FamilyFirearms » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:47 pm

ammolab wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:14 pm
FamilyFirearms wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:31 am
Well then, you will need to buy 2000 boxes from your buddy to get it that cheap.
He want to do 100 cases. Cases are .12 each then bullets, he buys powder by the truckload as well as primers. Machines are aoutmated and will do 5000 rounds an hour on a lower setting (for quality control, he never runs them any faster).

Tuna
United States of America

#9 Post by Tuna » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:09 pm

While there is a demand for this ammo it is not a huge one and is limited. More people have a pistol but never shoot it and it just sits in a safe. They may have a box of ammo that also just sits there. Not a big demand cartridge. You can use .38 auto or .38 Super brass to make the rounds as Rapidrob suggested. Some people have used .38 auto in their pistols with no problems at all BUT never use .38 Super ammo in it as it will damage the pistol.

ric44
United States of America

#10 Post by ric44 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:27 am

Bought 1000 cases back when it was cheap in the early 90's . Had a Star I reloaded for . I found it to be a very accurate round from this pistol .

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#11 Post by RWS » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:38 am

If your Astra 400 shows a caliber designation of 9mm/.38 then the extractor has been relieved to accept the old .38 acp round (same case dimensions as .38 Super, just a smaller powder charge). I've owned at least a couple of 400's that functioned better with .38 acp than they did with the "correct" 9mm Largo rounds and, again, that is mostly due I think to the extractor being relieved. In the 400's that did not function well the problem was almost always a failure to eject that I believe is attributable to the oversize extractor.

Since your friend loads numerous calibers, if he does a run of .38 Super (still used in many comp matches) would he be willing at the end of that run to simply reduce the powder charge and run another small batch for you, since it's only a single adjustment?

A powder charge that would normally be a max load for 9mm Luger will give you a reduced load in the larger .38 Super case that pretty much duplicates the old .38 acp loading. FWIW, I use a charge of 5.0 grains of WW231 powder and a 115 grain FMJ bullet with very good accuracy and near 100% functioning. You would need to go lower on the powder charge if he's using 130 grain bullets of course. Several reloading manuals recommend that you reduce the STARTING load for .38 Super by 10% in order to stay within the .38 acp pressure range, and this has proven to be good advice in my experience.

One important thing to note is that since the Astra 400 is blowback getting a new recoil spring from Wolff is a really good idea, IMHO. Who knows what the round count is on the old spring?

You can also try a box or two of .38 Auto ammo since it's still being made in limited quantities, but the price is going to be $30-$40 a box. Precision Cartridge was making it last time I checked and Buffalo Bullets also carries it I believe. If you have a source for free/used .38 Super brass then you can reload it for about $7 or $8 a box.

Hope this helps.

-Bob

Ned Christiansen
United States of America

#12 Post by Ned Christiansen » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:35 am

I bought, I think, 500 rounds of this in the late 80's, thinking I might use it as cheap practice fodder in my .38 Super IPSC gun, which I did. I had to run them through the seater to push the bullets in maybe 1/32 deeper. I also made a little stab crimp tool to recrimp them after this.

Note, pushing bullets in deeper is generally no recommended :-) . Maybe I didn't know that back then or I just figured it was a pretty mild caliber compared to .38 Super loaded to Major.

I have a bag left, there are maybe 50, 100 in there. They're yours if we can come up with a way to make it easy for me to ship them UPS and if it's worth it to ya.

Mid.
United States of America

#13 Post by Mid. » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:34 pm

Dunno how in demand 9mm largo is but if it had been available cheaply I probably woulda picked up a few more Spanish milsurps.

Return to “General Ammunition”