Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

6.5x52 Carcano - Shell holder of choice?

TassieAzz
Australia

6.5x52 Carcano - Shell holder of choice?

#1 Post by TassieAzz » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:59 am

Hey all.

I'm wanting to do some reloads for my M91/38 Carcano and am very confused as to the shell holder to use. I've got a Lee set of dies for it, but all the reading I've been doing advises to steer clear of the included shell holder and to instead go for the RCBS holder.

I've seen advice for the number 9 holder, although apparently number 3 will also work (hopefully it will, as it's one I already have on hand). I'm very new to reloading, hence my apprehension with regards to "internet here say" and would much prefer to get it from the most reliable source I know, SRF :D

So which shell holder do people personally use, or suggest?

Cheers

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

Re: 6.5x52 Carcano - Shell holder of choice?

#2 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:06 pm

FWIW, I have used the Lee shellholder exclusively and haven't had a problem. I can't say if it's a factor in my success, but I also use Lee case lube when resizing- a dab between the thumb and forefinger spun along the length of the case neck and body (skipping the shoulder), with the excess then scraped along the inside edge of the case mouth. I also use PRVI brass, finding the Norma thicker at the neck and rim (I avoid the Norma because of feeding issues, but in hindsight the thickness may exacerbate reloading/shellholder issues). That said, I know many experienced reloaders steer clear of the Lee shellholder so this is just what has worked for me so far (did I just jinx myself?).

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:13 pm

The Carcano "rim" is very thin. You want the shell holder to be a tight fit and center the primer properly.
I too have never had a problem with a LEE shell holder.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

ammolab
United States of America

#4 Post by ammolab » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:54 pm

You want the RCBS #9. If you use another # be sure the bevel of the shell holder does not hold the case off its floor. If this happens, the case will rock a bit when in the shell holder...and if you full length size the case will go into the die too far. This will push the shoulder back too far and create an excessive headspace situation.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:42 am

I can see that being a problem. My press uses free floating dies so this cannot happen.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

ammolab
United States of America

#6 Post by ammolab » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:52 pm

Rapidrob wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:42 am
I can see that being a problem. My press uses free floating dies so this cannot happen.
The Lee shell holder with my 7.35 die set works for me on Prvi brass too.

TassieAzz
Australia

#7 Post by TassieAzz » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:00 am

Thanks for all the replies! Maybe the Lee die isnt so bad and I was just reading the worst case scenario stories.

I may decide to pick up the RCBS #9 Shell Holder regardless, and if I don't need it.... Well I can always buy a rifle in a calibre I CAN use it for ;)

virtus
United States of America

#8 Post by virtus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:21 am

I only reload Prvi Partizan brass. That has the best case rim size that duplicate the Italian original.
Norma rim size is to thick. Other Shell holders fr that brass might be OK.
Best shell holder that I've found is the Hornady #21. It is made exclusive for the Carcano.

I use a Lee priming tool and the shell holder then recommend for that tool is not good.
Best fit is the with the one listed for 7.62x39. That is a #12

The current Lee Dies for the 6.5 Carcano are worthless. They supply the poor fitting Shell Holder
and only the expander for the .264 bullet. In the past the offered to expanders (.264 & .268)
I wrote to them and the answer was that their dies were set-up for .264 bullets using Norma brass.

lamontagne0527
Canada

#9 Post by lamontagne0527 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:47 pm

virtus wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:21 am
I only reload Prvi Partizan brass. That has the best case rim size that duplicate the Italian original.
Norma rim size is to thick. Other Shell holders fr that brass might be OK.
Best shell holder that I've found is the Hornady #21. It is made exclusive for the Carcano.

I use a Lee priming tool and the shell holder then recommend for that tool is not good.
Best fit is the with the one listed for 7.62x39. That is a #12

The current Lee Dies for the 6.5 Carcano are worthless. They supply the poor fitting Shell Holder
and only the expander for the .264 bullet. In the past the offered to expanders (.264 & .268)
I wrote to them and the answer was that their dies were set-up for .264 bullets using Norma brass.
Thats odd, i just received a set of the 6.5 carcano lee dies last week in the mail, it had both the 264 and 268 diameter sizer. I am not accusing you of being incorrect. Perhaps i got an older die set and you a newer one since i got mine up here in Canada and they could have been a new old stock item.

What seems to be the issue with the lee shellholder? Does it tear rims off or just cause the shoulder to push back too far?

virtus
United States of America

#10 Post by virtus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:45 pm

I did not end up buying a Lee set. I came across a used RCBS set in a trade, although I do like
Lee products. The RCBS set only came with the .264 expander. I'm waiting on a expander from
Hornady. I' think it will work with the RCBS decapping spindle. Both should be 10-32 thread size.

I actually wrote Lee a about a month ago and asked if the new set came with both expanders.
They wrote back with what I had posted. I also asked about the shell holder and they said they
send the #2 which is also for the .30-06 size cartridges. Same as RCBS #9 SH. Those SH's are to large
for the Carcano rims and do not hold the case tight enough during re-sizing and rip out the thinner
rims in the non Norma cases. Norma case rims seem to be to thick for the extractor on some Carcani.

Forgot to mention in the letter from Lee, they mentioned that the larger expander can be ordered from
them separately.

Lee either changed what they are supplying or you got an older set. Either way you got lucky.
Although, you might change the shell holder if you reload Prvi brass.
Also, Depending on how you prime your cases, without the right SH you might have to wiggle the case around
to get he primer started and seated.

lamontagne0527
Canada

#11 Post by lamontagne0527 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:16 am

ahhh alright that makes more sense, i do have a single case of Norma 6.5 that came with the rifle when i bought it and the rim is considerably thicker than the prvi. At the current time i must have gotten an older set that the store had in stock for awhile. Its a set with the 2 slotted translucent red box. Seems lee has switched the boxes and what they provide in the dies as well. Either way it doesnt matter to me if they provide both or not since my rifle has a tighter .264 bore (i have a 1941 model carcano) and the .268 would be far too large a size.

Lee seems to have shaken up their boxes and dies fairly recently and i must have just been lucky like you said. I will continue to use Hornady unique case lube and be careful when i resize and i will see if i can use the provided shellholder in the lee set. hopefully i wont rip a rim or two since the ammo is nearly 40 bucks a box here in Canada so the brass is expensive too lol

The prvi brass is also inconsistent on the rims sometimes. i have some 6.5 japanese brass that has rims so inconsistent they wont go under the extractor. their brass is good but has its issues, same as every company out there. They make mistakes

Return to “Reloading”