Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

So far good! This newbie still has his fingers

Reverend Mauser
United States of America

So far good! This newbie still has his fingers

#1 Post by Reverend Mauser » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:25 pm

I tried my hand loads for the first time yesterday afternoon and am still intact. I'm new to reloading and am using the classic Lee Loaders. I had a solid group with my 22-250 and, although my 30-06 is stringing vertically, (a preexistent issue I have to correct) the round column wasn't much more than an inch wide. A little work with the rifle is in order, but it looks promising.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: So far good! This newbie still has his fingers

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:32 pm

Good for you!. LEE Loaders are a solid 3/4 powder charge load. Not the fastest,but in most instances,the best in accuracy.
Vertical stringing is almost always action screws too tight,or wood touching the barrel.
That being said, some rifles like a "fouled bore". A couple of fouling shots are fired and the bullet group will shrink.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Reverend Mauser
United States of America

#3 Post by Reverend Mauser » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:44 am

Vertical stringing is almost always action screws too tight,or wood touching the barrel.
It's a Savage 111 and read a while back on savageshooters that they can be particularly picky about the action screws. I

I did a free float a while back as the very front of the stock was touching, but it did not solve the issue.

I can tell even so that there was improvement. This stringing was the straightest pattern I've ever seen it do, so I'm thinking the hand loads were an improvement.

Kurt
United States of America

#4 Post by Kurt » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:10 am

The bedding required on a Model 111 is illustrated on youtube somewhere and it is shown that it is important to bend the rear action screw as well as the forward receiver/barrel. If yours has the cheaply made synthetic stock, as does mine, it is a bit tricky but it can be done and is effective. Good luck with your new pursuits!

Reverend Mauser
United States of America

#5 Post by Reverend Mauser » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:06 pm

Kurt wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:10 am
The bedding required on a Model 111 is illustrated on youtube somewhere and it is shown that it is important to bend the rear action screw as well as the forward receiver/barrel. If yours has the cheaply made synthetic stock, as does mine, it is a bit tricky but it can be done and is effective. Good luck with your new pursuits!
This is good to know. This is a wood stock. A lot of savage people also say it's important to float the tang on the 110, and it looks like some work needs to be done there.

I got a torque screwdriver the other day, so the action screws are going to be tightened appropriately. I've had issues with mine loosening up, and that certainly needs attention, even if it is not a full cure.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#6 Post by Tommy Atkins » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:35 pm

There's nothings wrong with the good old Lee "Whack-a-Mole"!
I taught a total newbie to load .303 British with one on a picnic bench in the Ozarks, in an afternoon.
He too was nervous at first, but pretty soon he was whacking out rounds at the rate of 2 every 3 minutes.

(He's gonna kill me when he finds the one 215 Gr hard cast "full house" black powder load I snuk in the box though)!
:shock: :whistle:

Smokey
United States of America

#7 Post by Smokey » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:39 am

NASTY!! :naughty:
Hope he knows how to clean the black fouling out!!
You might need to mention the necessity for preventing corrosion.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#8 Post by Tommy Atkins » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:25 pm

He's a very meticulous person & he always cleans after shooting before the sun goes down. He's also shooting MkVII ball so he cleans for corrosive automatically.
(I'll remind him anyway, as I'm pretty sure he'll call me when it gets fired) :lol:

kraggman
United States of America

#9 Post by kraggman » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:19 pm

Nice. I started with Lee Loaders. Good for taking your time and getting used to the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Reloading”