Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Swaging versus Reaming

Inarus
United States of America

Swaging versus Reaming

#1 Post by Inarus » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:50 pm

Good evening ladies and gents.

I am going to give my opinion on swaging versus reaming here. Understand this is for informational purposes only, your mileage may vary and this is not an endorsement of any particular product or brand. Just my experience with two different tools.

I have a CH4D primer pocket swager as well as a Lyman primer pocket reamer.

I posted on a Facebook group about having an issue with my military brass not priming well even after swaging. Well I worked that out, somewhat, and got to the point where I could swage my 30-06 brass for my M1, but with my Lee hand primer it was still a little difficult.

So yesterday I received in my Lyman large primer pocket reamer.

For those of you who are unfamiliar, a swage kit, like my CH4D kit, pushes the metal that was moved by the crimp back in to the pocket and rear of the case whereas a reamer cuts out the brass that has been pushed down by the crimp. One moves material, the other cuts it out.

The short of it is that the brass that was reamed is now WAYYY easier to prime than the swaged brass. It is to the point that I'm considering selling my CH4D kit, as now that I have both large and small reamers I will not really have a reason to use the CH4D kit anymore.

For those of you dealing with crimped brass I personally recommend reaming over swaging.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Swaging versus Reaming

#2 Post by RWS » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:31 am

My experience is the same as yours. Reaming yields much better results and fewer high primers for me.

To be fair, if you use the same brand of brass cases all the time then swaging results can be very consistent but I have U.S. and foreign military cases so adjustments are needed each time I change manufacturers.

Reaming takes the different manufacturers out of the equation and creates a very suitable primer pocket when done correctly. It also removes carbon build-up in the pocket as well. Just my 2 cents worth but I don't swage any more.

-Bob

Return to “Reloading”