Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

.410 British Reloading

Kevinofborg
United States of America

.410 British Reloading

#1 Post by Kevinofborg » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:06 pm

Rapidrob,

Do you still have your reloading post for this round? I just won an auction for one of these (and bought two 360 rounds of POF surplus) but would like to reload at some point for it.

TIA,
Kevin
kevinofborg
TX

Zeliard
United States of America

Re: .410 British Reloading

#2 Post by Zeliard » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:32 pm

I added the missing images 6/13/17 Rapidrob:
The Enfield .410 Musket is just so much fun to shoot,you want to reload your old rifle brass. Boxer or Berdan primers depending on your preference.
It is so EASY to do,your ten year old kid can do it ( with your help).
1.De-prime your fired rifle brass. Do not resize it!
2. Anneal the brass neck. This MUST be done or the shoulder may crack when it is blown out. A hand held propane torch works well. Look up how to do it.
3. Load the primed brass with 5 grains of Bullseye or your favorite fast burning pistol powder. If using Unique powder use 12 grains.
4. Fill up to the case shoulder with Corn Meal. (cheap and will not harm the bore) A LEE powder dipper works well.
5. Plug the mouth of the case. I use a plastic foam packing peanut. You can use any light weight material you have on hand. Kapoc, Dacron, tissue paper, wax etc. If it will burn,be careful when you fire the charge,it can start a fire.
6. Lightly oil or Case Lube the case. This will allow a perfect .410 shell to be made. Bolt head thrust is not an issue.
Attachment:

7. Fire the "blank". It will be very loud. Fire into the air outside or into a heavy steel trash can.( wear eye protection if you do this) The Corn Meal is deadly at close range,so is your case mouth wad/plug
8. You now have a perfectly formed brass .410 shell. Clean it if you want.
Attachment:
9. Re prime-you will never have to size your cases. They are a perfect fit in YOUR musket.
10. Charge your primed shell you your shotgun/pistol powder. I use shotgun powder as it takes up more space in the shell.
I use 14 grains of 231 pistol/shotgun powder. The shotgun powder I use is no longer for sale.
11, Seat a .410 2 1/2" plastic wad into the case. Use a dowel or a drift punch to seat the wad fully into the case. Get the air out!
Attachment:

12. Drop in Four ( 220 Grains) or Five 00-Buckshot Balls ( 270 grains). Either will work with the same charge weight.
13. Add a top wad if using Four Balls. Tandy Leather sells a Leather Punch that is almost a perfect .411 that makes a nice tight over the shot wad fit. Milk Carton paper works very well. Old ammo box cardboard works too.
Attachment:
Attachment:

14. Run the loaded case slowly up into a...30-06 sizing die body, .308, or 22-250 as they will roll the case mouth over and "crimp" the wad in or grip the 5TH Ball if you doing that. You will need to set the lock ring to give you the proper crimp ring. If you get wrinkles in the brass the brass will tear when fired.
Attachment:
Attachment:
My loads are very accurate at 50 yards. Small game would fall pray with no problem. This load would make a great Home Defense load as well.
If you use the four ball load,there is no leading. The 5 Ball load may lead a little as the ball does touch the bore of the shotgun.
Once you have fire formed your brass,you can re-load the brass in about three minutes per shell. Bird Shot can be used as well at 25 yards or so. The Buck shot is deadly at 200 yards.

.41 caliber pistol bullets used at 50 yards
Your brass
Hornandy 00-Buckshot-5 pounds Part number 6400
.410 shot wads.Any wad for the 2 1/2" long shell will work
Tandy Leather ( or anyone's) Leather hole punch to make a .411 wad
Paper milk carton or cartridge box cardboard
Primers
Shotgun or pistol powder-tons of loads on the web
LEE Universal De-Capping die or what ever you have.
A .30-06,308 or .22-250 sizing die to form the crimp
I figure I can load 25 rounds for just over $2.50.
Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:24 pm

I just did a new post on diff loadings.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Kevinofborg
United States of America

#4 Post by Kevinofborg » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:00 pm

Zeliard,

The photos are missing again. Do you have them saved off?

Kevin
kevinofborg
TX

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:15 pm

Some of the printed out info is here but he used photo bucket as a photo source and they are gone.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=390

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=894

Always post photos through the forum not a host-- if they go down, your account is froze or stopped, or they cut off access you lose the photo link.
I may have these on an old print out and can take pics of the picture and repost them . This will take somme looking & doing if needed.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Return to “Reloading”