Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Think these would be good plinkers

Hippycrowe
United States of America

Think these would be good plinkers

#1 Post by Hippycrowe » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:03 pm

www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/000 ... ation+Sale!

I have never used any of these need opinion if these would be good plinkers

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Re: Think these would be good plinkers

#2 Post by Tommy Atkins » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:50 pm

Load data?

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#3 Post by Hippycrowe » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:10 pm

I figured 7 grains of Unique not sure if it makes a difference if they are hollow base or not I have never uaed hollow based bulltets

gabe
United States of America

#4 Post by gabe » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:27 am

I'm a big fan of xtreme bullets. They usually keep their stuff on rotation for a 5% off sale and really cheap or free shipping. For plated bullets in general I just load them the same as jacketed.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by RWS » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:31 am

I've used these bullets ever since they first came out a few years ago. They were really designed for "Geezer Loads", loads that provide minimum felt recoil but will still cycle a 1911 slide and shoot close to point-of-aim. This is what got me interested in them. I have an old 1976 lightweight (aluminum-framed) Colt Commander. Full-house loads in this pistol are harsh enough that I was worried about beating up the aluminum frame so I started loading these just hot enough to cycle the action. To me, the felt recoil is more like shooting a 9mm than a .45. What's more, they're FUN.

So yes, per HIppyCrowe's initial question they make great plinking bullets with reduced loads. You can bump up the powder charge, which makes the bullet go faster and also means it hits low, too low for fixed sights IMHO. The bullets were designed for reduced loads and that's what they do best, again IMHO.

Per Tommy's question about load data, there is a link on Berry's site to an article wherein a guy did some fairly extensive experimentation. The gist of his conclusion was:

So, here’s the scoop on the Geezer Load. Using mixed cases, with Winchester large pistol primers, and Berry’ 185gr. HBRN bullet, a charge of 4.3-4.4 grains of Hodgdon’s Clays gives a velocity of 758fps. The finished rounds are loaded to an OAL of 1.250” and are crimped to .468”. The load is as close to 100% reliable as it can be in my full size 1911 Government model pistols when they are run with 16lb. recoil springs. POA/POI with fixed sight guns is pretty much the same as with hard ball or a 200gr.SWC equivalent loading out to 20 yards. The load is certainly minute of IDPA or bad guy. And, the recoil is SOFT! Bumping the powder charge up to 5.2 or 5.4 will get you close to the 165,000 power factor with not too much of an increase the recoil impulse. If making major is your goal you know what you are doing, I assume.

Finally, on their web site Berry's cautions that these bullets can withstand velocities up to 1250 fps and that the maximum OAL is 1.275".

-Bob

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#6 Post by Hippycrowe » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:20 pm

Thanks for the info

Return to “Reloading”