Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

lee 6.5 carcano

lamontagne0527
Canada

lee 6.5 carcano

#1 Post by lamontagne0527 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:58 pm

I have a set of Lee precision 6.5 Carcano dies that i recently purchased and the exterior of the dies doesnt look bad but the upper section of the sizing die has nasty machine marks all over the cut outs where a wrench would go. When i saw this i was worried about the interior of the dies but my worry was for nothing. When i threw some fired brass through the dies (PPU brass) i made sure i used some hornady unique case lube (best lube i have used in my 5 years of reloading) and the sizing was a breeze. No torn rims or any excessive force needed to extract the brass from the die.

I have read many accounts of the shell holder in the lee dies being of poor fit and tearing rims from the PPU brass since the holder was said to be sized for Norma 6.5 which has a larger rim. My experience has been positive with these dies. I

I am also using the .264 sizer instead of the .268 sizer also supplied with the dies. I might run into issues if i use the .268 sizer but my rifle has the tighter bore so i have no use for the .268.

Everyones experiences may vary with these dies but mine has been good so far. Time and more reloads will tell in the long term.

S.B.
United States of America

Re: lee 6.5 carcano

#2 Post by S.B. » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:49 am

In my experience with Lee dies I've found them to be cheaper both made and price wise but. may not be exactly what you ordered? Recently ordered a set of Lee's for a .455 Webley and their shell holder wouldn't fit the shell heads? Contacted them and was told they'd send another, never relieved the new one? Also, when you call someone usually answers your questions who doesn't appear to be knowledgeably about firearms reloading?
Just my humble opinion.
Steve

lamontagne0527
Canada

Re: lee 6.5 carcano

#3 Post by lamontagne0527 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:41 am

S.B. wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:49 am
In my experience with Lee dies I've found them to be cheaper both made and price wise but. may not be exactly what you ordered? Recently ordered a set of Lee's for a .455 Webley and their shell holder wouldn't fit the shell heads? Contacted them and was told they'd send another, never relieved the new one? Also, when you call someone usually answers your questions who doesn't appear to be knowledgeably about firearms reloading?
Just my humble opinion.
Steve
I've never had a problem with the company, fit and finish sometimes is lacking but never had a major issue. Everyones milage may vary though. Every company has quality control issues, i havent received a lemon as of yet and i own about 9-10 lee dies.

Hopefully my luck remains in the future.

Return to “Reloading”