Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

7mm mauser for rolling block

lamontagne0527
Canada

7mm mauser for rolling block

#1 Post by lamontagne0527 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:21 pm

So i just started reloading 7x57mm mauser for the 1902 remington rolling block. I am sizing down 30-06 springfield brass and it seems to be going quite well. However, i am running into a sluggish hammer (seems to be rubbing on the breech block) on a few of the pieces of brass. I assume i just havent trimmed enough off the brass or the neck wasnt set back enough on the resizing. Any thoughts?

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: 7mm mauser for rolling block

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:51 pm

The original 7x57 mm Mauser is not the same as 7x57 today. The early cartridge was just slightly different at the shoulder and neck. When I got my RRB in 7x57 I ran into the same thing. Make a wax casting of your chamber and hold it to your loaded round. While wax will shrink a little, you can see the difference. Running your sizing die to where it cams over the shell holder may help.
You can also cover the shells neck in black Sharpy ink. If it is binding at the chamber throat you will see it.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

lamontagne0527
Canada

#3 Post by lamontagne0527 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:57 pm

Rapidrob wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:51 pm
The original 7x57 mm Mauser is not the same as 7x57 today. The early cartridge was just slightly different at the shoulder and neck. When I got my RRB in 7x57 I ran into the same thing. Make a wax casting of your chamber and hold it to your loaded round. While wax will shrink a little, you can see the difference. Running your sizing die to where it cams over the shell holder may help.
You can also cover the shells neck in black Sharpy ink. If it is binding at the chamber throat you will see it.
So is the rifle safe to fire as long as the breech block closes and doesn't bind when the hammer falls? By the way I am shooting under the published load data so it should be getting out under 2100 fps

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by Rapidrob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Oh yes! The Smokless RRB rifle is super strong. Way over engineered since no one was sure where smokeless powder was going.
In 55 years I have only seen ONE RRB rifle fail. An original 45-90 loaded with a full case of BLANK powder and a 500 grain bullet. The action bulged,the action pins DID NOT FAIL! The hammer was cracked,the block was set back. The barrel exploded along with the wood hand guard. The shooter had serious damage to his left hand and lacerations to his face. A 4,000 dollar original rifle was destroyed due to his stupidity.
I have a RRB Smokeless original action rifle in .50 Alaskan that shoots 750 grain .50 BMG projectiles at 1,850 fps. No problems what so ever.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

lamontagne0527
Canada

#5 Post by lamontagne0527 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:06 pm

Awesome. Thanks for all of the help. I'm getting essentially that as long as the breech closes and locks that it's safe to use as long as I'm not shooting nuclear stupid loads. Thanks alot

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by Rapidrob » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:25 am

I only neck size after the cases have been fired formed to the RRB chamber. I have never down loaded the round. The rifle will like the heaver bullet over a light bullet.
I found the best accuracy was at 2,500 FPS with a 150- 170 grain bullet.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

lamontagne0527
Canada

#7 Post by lamontagne0527 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:56 am

so i just got done finishing up those final 7 rounds that were causing the hammer to rub on the breech, Turns out i wasnt having the press cam over enough so the shoulder was just 1-2 thousands off from the chamber headspace. Now the brass chambers, breech locks and hammer falls (no primer or powder on the brass yet) on the firing pin with no binding or rubbing. Now is time to get myself out to the range and see how my 20 rounds of 30-06 converted to 7mm brass works and see how my rifle shoots. By the way the barrel is near mint with slight frosting.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#8 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Good for you! The rifles shoot very well.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Reloading”