Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Webley safe .45 Auto Loads?

Alpha-17
United States of America

Webley safe .45 Auto Loads?

#1 Post by Alpha-17 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:18 pm

Howdy folks. Anyone have a favorite .45 Auto load for a Webley? Picked up a shaved Webley this pat weekend, and I'm looking to shoot it. Since I only have one box of .455 for it, I'm looking to load up some .45 Auto or Auto Rim for it. Not a lot of published data, so I figured I'd ask you fine gentlemen.

Looking to top the load with a 230gr or 250gr cast pill.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Webley safe .45 Auto Loads?

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:48 pm

I do not download. Never have and never will. I've fired hundreds and hundreds of rounds out of my MK IV pistol. Our forefathers were not stupid or careless.
I shoot cast for no other reason than to help reduce wear on the old pistols bore.
Do what you like. My pistol shoots very accurately and has won several matches. It is so fast to load using full moon clips most cannot keep up with me
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

dmg4
United States of America

#3 Post by dmg4 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:08 am

Ditto. I'm not using handloads in my Enfield Mk IV, but I've shot over 2000 standard 200 gr SWC and 230 gr FMJ loads moving at 850-ish fps without a hitch. Trying a +P load in this particular revolver is probably not a great idea, but the above loads are pretty mild, and should be easy to duplicate in a handload.

Now, if only the DA trigger pull was a little less like yanking stumps out of a rocky pasture.
Frequently wrong, never in doubt.

timbo1955
Russia

#4 Post by timbo1955 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:15 am

Been useing 5.0 grains of Unique , the new version with a 230 grain lead round nose and CCI primers with moon clips , works well , but the weapon was made in 1917 and I try to be easy on the old war horse. Still useing the last of some 45 auto rim also , works well too , but also not guilt edge target rounds , just so I can take it out once in a while and enjoy it before I kick off and my kids sell it and others for few bucks

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by RWS » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:54 am

On the old Alliant web site they had a published load for 5.0 grains of Unique with a 220 grain cast lead RN bullet that allegedly generated 11,500 PSI of pressure. So, presumably a 230 grain cast lead bullet probably doesn't exceed 12,000 PSI.

I've used the 5.0 grain load w/230 grain bullets fairly extensively. Accuracy in my Webleys is OK but I've noted two downsides. One is that this is a very dirty load. Nothing that simple scrubbing with Hoppes won't remove fairly quickly, but I equate dirty loads with inconsistent velocities. And, that's the 2nd downside for me. Velocities with this load in my chronograph range from 510- 575 fps, which means a lot of unburned powder is going out the muzzle.

I switched to 3.5 grains of Trail Boss and everything improved. Cleaner and more consistent velocities. YMMV.

-Bob

timbo1955
Russia

#6 Post by timbo1955 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:40 am

The "new improved" Unique I bought in August seem to be improved some what over the older powder , but the smoke is pretty close to the same , still it keep me from haveing to have 7 or 8 powders , now down to 4 for my inventory , makes my life easier anyway as the twilight years of my life advance slowly over the horizon ............................

Return to “Reloading”