Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Reloading 7.62x54R

Message
Author
Thumb
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:39 pm
Age: 64
Location: Medford, or
United States of America

Reloading 7.62x54R

#1 Post by Thumb » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:49 am

I have two Mosin Nagant, one round one hex and I just finished slugging the barrel on one of them and got a measurement of .3095". My question is does anyone know what bullet I should use, .308 or .310(if they make those) bullets or maybe even a .311"?

User avatar
patrick_ford
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:36 am
Age: 35
Location: Raleigh, NC
United States of America

Re: Reloading 7.62x54R

#2 Post by patrick_ford » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:38 am

Most Mosins like .310-.312 with .311 being pretty standard. I use .311 bullets in both by Enfield no4 as well as my Finnish M39 Mosin-Nagant.
“We don’t rise to the level of our expectations – we fall to the level of our training” - Archilochus

Thumb
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:39 pm
Age: 64
Location: Medford, or
United States of America

Re: Reloading 7.62x54R

#3 Post by Thumb » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:11 am

Do you know what size your bore is? I'm just worried that a .311 might be too big, I don't know?

User avatar
Cattus Borealis
Member
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:46 pm
Age: 36
Location: Northern New York
United States of America

Re: Reloading 7.62x54R

#4 Post by Cattus Borealis » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:01 am

Are you just trying jacketed bullets? Cast .311 would work great. Lyman 311299 works well in Mosins.

http://westernbullet.com/311299br200gr.html

Thumb
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:39 pm
Age: 64
Location: Medford, or
United States of America

Re: Reloading 7.62x54R

#5 Post by Thumb » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:00 am

I'll be using FMJ's and as I stated in my first post, I slugged the bore and it came out at .3095", just a tad under .310". I have shot some surplus ammo through it and it was not good at all at 100 yards and those bullets measured in at .308"

User avatar
Cattus Borealis
Member
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:46 pm
Age: 36
Location: Northern New York
United States of America

Re: Reloading 7.62x54R

#6 Post by Cattus Borealis » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:35 am

Cool. I would try to find some pulled open based 7.62 Russian Bullets

professrh
Member
Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:45 pm
Age: 57
Location: Montgomery, Alabama
United States of America

Re: Reloading 7.62x54R

#7 Post by professrh » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:36 pm

I use .311" bullets in mine (they slug .311 - .312). Got a deal on Sierra SPs a while back. They shoot well over Varget. If you go to Grafs.com and search rifle bullets for 303 Caliber / 7.7 Japanese you'll find a good selection. PPU, Sierra, and Speer (at least) all make .311 bullets for those calibers (Hornady's offerings are .312).

You already know to work up carefully to find the best powder charge.

--Prof

Thumb
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:39 pm
Age: 64
Location: Medford, or
United States of America

Re: Reloading 7.62x54R

#8 Post by Thumb » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:44 pm

OK, I ordered some of the Japanese 7.7 bullets.

professrh
Member
Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:45 pm
Age: 57
Location: Montgomery, Alabama
United States of America

Re: Reloading 7.62x54R

#9 Post by professrh » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:01 pm

Thumb wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:44 pm
OK, I ordered some of the Japanese 7.7 bullets.
Cool. Let us know how it works out.

--Prof

Thumb
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:39 pm
Age: 64
Location: Medford, or
United States of America

Re: Reloading 7.62x54R

#10 Post by Thumb » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:50 pm

Will do, as soon as we get out of this heat wave here.

Thumb
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:39 pm
Age: 64
Location: Medford, or
United States of America

Re: Reloading 7.62x54R

#11 Post by Thumb » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:54 pm

Waiting for my EZ X EXP 303 B expander to arrive but took both of my MN to the range today just too see how they shot at 100 yards using some surplus ammo and some Tula ammo. I was sort of happy about the results with about 4" groups from both. Since they are .308 bullets I'm expecting the larger .311 bullets to perform better but you never know. The groups might have been better if I wasn't using the iron sights and I could barley see the bullseye at 100 yards so the grouping my have been better, I dunno? :D

idahoshooter
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:52 am
Age: 31
Location: Boise, ID
United States of America

Re: Reloading 7.62x54R

#12 Post by idahoshooter » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:49 am

You'll be fine shooting .311 through that. I'd start low on the powder charge and keep an eye out for pressure signs.

kraggman
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:51 pm
Age: 64
Location: USA New Jersey
United States of America

Re: Reloading 7.62x54R

#13 Post by kraggman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:12 am

I use these for both my Lee Enfield and Mosin.Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ammolab
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:34 pm
Location: New Mexico USA
United States of America

Re: Reloading 7.62x54R

#14 Post by ammolab » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:04 pm

Thumb wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:54 pm
Waiting for my EZ X EXP 303 B expander to arrive but took both of my MN to the range today just too see how they shot at 100 yards using some surplus ammo and some Tula ammo. I was sort of happy about the results with about 4" groups from both. Since they are .308 bullets I'm expecting the larger .311 bullets to perform better but you never know. The groups might have been better if I wasn't using the iron sights and I could barley see the bullseye at 100 yards so the grouping my have been better, I dunno? :D
What surplus/Tula ammo has a .308" bullet? Should measure .310", and you may need to pull those bullets to find the true diameter when you measure.

VMASCIOP2000
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:41 am
Age: 63
Location: oakdale minnesota
United States of America

Re: Reloading 7.62x54R

#15 Post by VMASCIOP2000 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:32 am

ammolab wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:04 pm
Thumb wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:54 pm
Waiting for my EZ X EXP 303 B expander to arrive but took both of my MN to the range today just too see how they shot at 100 yards using some surplus ammo and some Tula ammo. I was sort of happy about the results with about 4" groups from both. Since they are .308 bullets I'm expecting the larger .311 bullets to perform better but you never know. The groups might have been better if I wasn't using the iron sights and I could barley see the bullseye at 100 yards so the grouping my have been better, I dunno? :D
What surplus/Tula ammo has a .308" bullet? Should measure .310", and you may need to pull those bullets to find the true diameter when you measure.
Great question and advice!
I was R.L.E.V.M. on our old forum.

Post Reply

Return to “Reloading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests