Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Max Loads for 1903/38 Turk 6.5x55 Conversion

wpflgun
United States of America

Max Loads for 1903/38 Turk 6.5x55 Conversion

#1 Post by wpflgun » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:45 pm

Curious about how hot the 6.5x55 can be loaded in large ring Mauser, and looking for recommendations or pet loads.

AGB-1
United States of America

Re: Max Loads for 1903/38 Turk 6.5x55 Conversion

#2 Post by AGB-1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:34 am

I would not go over 45,000psi due to the age of the action.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:20 pm

The quality of the brass is the factor,not the action. Steel does not get brittle or other internet baloney with age.
Due to the brass itself you want to to keep the loads around 55,000 PSI for no other reason than for case life. You could go hotter but you will prob blow primers. With the small bore of the 6.5 some powders can and will spike the pressure if too much is used.
I have a Tweed Carbine that I built and it handles my loads well with no bolt stiffness,a sign of a too high pressure load.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

noylj
United States of America

#4 Post by noylj » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:50 pm

The factory hardening certainly DOES effect things and age effects everything.
The case is not a factor unless you exceed the strength of the web and case head to hold pressure (or there is a feed ramp that encrouches further up the case).
The MAX load would be the proof load, if the metallurgy has not changed with age, but that is a DANGEROUS view to take.
Find a load it likes and enjoy it.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:05 pm

Sorry,you need to do more research. I have been shooting and building firearms for over 50 years as well as serving in the Navy as an Ordnance Chief. It was my job to test weapons until they failed. What it took to so called " blow up a weapon" was far more than the average Joe knows about.
I recommend all Read "Hatchers Notebook" as well as Dr.Mann's book " A bullets flight". Both talk about firearms strength and both did extensive testing of them.
Unless a firearm has been in a fire, fired hundreds of very hot loads or very poorly stored,the action will be as strong as the day it was made.
I have never seen an action fail due to age and my club and myself fire thousands and thousands or rounds through rifles from the 1880's on each year.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Return to “Reloading”