Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

8x56R 208 grain long range load

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

8x56R 208 grain long range load

#1 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:36 am

The quest for duplicating the 8x56R 208 grain sptizer boat-tail FMJ load has been an interesting road. The Nazi loading from the late 1930's has always been the pinnacle of performance to meet by the handloader.
As you know 99% of the posted loads are anemic at best due to the shooters being very recoil sensitive. These loads shot poorly at any distance beyond 200 yards.
After comparing the Nazi and Hungarian loads, and estimating operating pressures I started working up a load that would equal these loads.
What I found yesterday at our 800 yard tart was a load that really performs well and matches the sights. Accuracy was as good as either original loads. Recoil feels the same and the brass shows no signs of any pressure problems.
Over that last few years Privi has been making the 208 grain SPBT FMJ bullet for this cartridge but there was a problem. It was .001 too small for any real accuracy.
Today however, they seem to have their ducks in a row and the bullets I have from them are a true .330. Bullet weights are more consistent as well.
I own and shoot the Long Rifle at distance farther than 300 meters for no other reason than the better velocities and sight picture. The Short Rifle does well with this load too.
I have tried many powders but found the old stand-by IMR-4895 filled the ticket. While IMR-4064, WW748 and Varget all were a very close 2ND, the 4895 had the most consistent burn. The load is only a 90% case density, but that does not seem to be an issue.
The velocities I'm getting are for my 7,000 foot range elevation and would not be applicable at sea level. I did not post that data.
The load I'm using is:
Privi 208 grain SPBT FMJ bullet
IMR-4895 46.0 grains
Nazi 1938 brass once fired cases
Berdan LR primer ( Russian made,several brands seem to be the exact same primer in different packaging .
LEE Factory Crimp die. ( This die keeps the bullet pull consistent shot to shot and really makes a difference on target) Bullet crimped at the cannelure.
I could go even a little higher on this load but I found accuracy drops off. The results I'm getting are almost identical to the Nazi loading.
This load also works well in Privi made Boxer primed brass sold by Graf&Sons. WW LR primers gave the best accuracy.
Please check you Hungarian made brass. I have found some years are brittle and need to be annealed before reloading. I think the Nazi brass is much better quality.
The larger splatter marks are the 208 grain bullets.
20180929_113909.jpg
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: 8x56R 208 grain long range load

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:58 am

Here's some fired and loaded brass.
8x56rbrass_edited.jpg
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

TNGhost
United States of America

#3 Post by TNGhost » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:12 am

Impressive, and very interesting.

I have an M95 short rifle and enjoy shooting it, mostly with cast loads. Nice to know the performance of the German loads can be duplicated.

What is your source for those Berdan primers? I have some of the WWII era German brass and would like to give that a try.

Roger Dunn
United States of America

#4 Post by Roger Dunn » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:31 pm

What bullet dia are you using?
And what brand are they?

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:51 pm

Privi Partizan from Graf&Sons or MidwayUSA. 208 grain Spitzer Boat-tailed ( read above) the bullets are a true .330 in this last lot I bought.
Berdan primers are hit/Miss to find. Years ago I bought 50,000 from PMC.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Reloading”