Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Heat Treated Cast Bullets

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

Heat Treated Cast Bullets

#1 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:41 pm

Some information on the LA Silhouette Club, a real shooting club in California, posted some stuff on cast bullet alloy making. It mentioned that alloys with at least 6% antimony can be heat treated in a toaster oven for around one hour and then quenched in water for good results. Has anybody done this? RotoMetal sells a 30/70 antimony/lead alloy five pound ingot for hard casting, so I thought I would give it a go. I even picked up a new toaster oven at a flea market for $7, complete with timer. I still have to make a decent pan with holes that sinks in a bucket of water for quenching up a batch. If anybody hard cast, let me know.

Their site is perhaps one of the best I've seen on casting bullets and I recommend it to anyone who does cast their own. I might try to post a link later.

Best Regards,

Mark

Roger Dunn
United States of America

Re: Heat Treated Cast Bullets

#2 Post by Roger Dunn » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:04 pm

I just drop mine from the mold in to a bucket of water.

m47dragon
United States of America

#3 Post by m47dragon » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:08 pm

How about a deep fryer basket for quenching?

TNGhost
United States of America

#4 Post by TNGhost » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:30 pm

I also have gotten good results with handgun bullets simply letting them drop in a bucket of cold water right from the mold.

That LA Silhouette Club site is a good one though, lots of good info on cast bullets and other ballistic topics.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#5 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:33 am

I do have to give my $7 toaster oven at least one go of it. I can try to plop them into water immediately method as well. I'll also attempt to use my lead hardness tester and see if their is any difference.

Best Regards,

Mark

BTW< I think an article in the LA Silhouette Club mentioned using a tin pin with holes in it for lay in a bucket of water for quenching.

Return to “Bullet Casting”