Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

PAINTED BULLETS

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

PAINTED BULLETS

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:52 pm

Look at this I just saw on 'the' other forum...

The new rage in Europe are painted bullets.
These are lead bullets coated with polymer paint.
Do you guys uses it in the US ?
I tried some in one of my SV, in 180 grains from Dynamic Arms, and accuracy is very good.

I looked at the web site,,,

Hmmm how do they get it on the bullets evenly???

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Sounds like a gimmick to me. Why bother? Are these on cast boolits, or those other types?

I have some that I painted years ago and....as far as 'I AM CONCERNED' I see absolutely nothing wrong with them. Now here is a guy with 16,739 posts that thinks, "Sounds like a gimmick" to him. and is a 'Moderator Emeritus'. Just what does it take become a MODERATOR? To me, why on earth would it sound like a gimmick...or to anyone.
With a good lapped bore, these shoot just wonderfully with no paint left in the bore, for me. But I don't have a hand gun that hasn't been lapped with TLC to try. I say why should anyone have one that is otherwise. Is there any category in shooting that disallows the relapping of some one else? I know, it is just me.

DaleH
United States of America

Re: PAINTED BULLETS

#2 Post by DaleH » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:49 pm

Don't they mean "powder coated" ones? Totally different than painting ...

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:23 pm

Many of us here make and shoot Powder Coated bullets. They work very well and can be pushed close to jacketed rifle bullet velocities. Easy to do and cheap if you shop around for the powder.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#4 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:31 am

Hi - DaleH---Well, I can't speak for (they). I just took them for their word when they said 'Painted'. Now I don't know if (they) know the difference or not...but I do, and I painted some with a Rustolium Appliance Paint which they called a one part Epoxy Paint, and some others with another paint that right now I forgot the type and brand, but I think that it was just a regular cheap lacquer, but both worked okay for me. I do remember that I used three very thin coats. Both were in a regular spray can. I think that one can't trust the sellers of spay can paints, and I 'did' email Rustolium and ask them just what was in that can and they didn't bother to answer. To me 'One Part Epoxy Paint' in a spay can didn't sound quite right, and actually it still doesn't, but I don't know, and I never bothered to look into it any further. BUT...BUT, I didn't use 'Powder Coating'. I never have - have never tried it.
And let me add that I have a very good feeling that it is very possible that I had no evidence of either paint coming off was because I was using them in a very well lapped bore. I try to be sure and correct as much as possible with what I say or write, BUT, I know that others quite often may not. Oh yes, these were in just regular mild loads, with no 'Hot' loads.

If I could get this forum program to work 'FOR ME', I could send a photo. It was a while ago but they still look pretty.

sowbelle
United States of America

#5 Post by sowbelle » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:59 pm

😕😕hmmmm
Well now there is a different take in bullet lubing and
Powder coating.
Just sayin😃

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#6 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi sowbelle - I would think so. When I first heard of this new thing of 'powder coating' bullets a few years ago, I thought, are they talking about this super durable paint job stuff on outdoor equipment and such things...surely that can't be it. That stuff is harder than the dickens, it can be used to sharpen a knife blade. But well we know that I was sure wrong. I say that those that use it are sure lucky that they can't get it to go on there well enough to wear out the bores 'too' fast. But I am sure that they are getting a Lapping job really quick....not a lap job that I would think is nice to the sharp rifling edges......but there are thousands out there that are definitely not on my wavelength. So, who am I to say?

When I was 15 making my first cast bullets with my first bullet mold that I made, some one said that hey you don't have any lube grooves, and I said what are lube grooves? He said well you can use paper, so there I was gluing paper stripes on some 45-70 bullets with my Model Airplane Glue. Then I graduated to scotch tape.
Yep, just sayin' :o

Return to “Bullet Casting”