Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

How would you repair checking on the butt?

Atamis
United States of America

How would you repair checking on the butt?

#1 Post by Atamis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:57 pm

Got a new rifle to repair recently, its in fairly good shape except what i assume is water damage at the butt that has caused it to start checking or splitting. i would like to get this repaired before the toe breaks off.

I figure i could stuff it with epoxy and mush some wood dust on top to kinda hide it or i could chisel out a stripe and put a patch over the epoxied splits.

Just looking for other brainstorming ideas.
Attachments
SPanbuttR.jpg
SpanbuttL.jpg

DaleH
United States of America

Re: How would you repair checking on the butt?

#2 Post by DaleH » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:18 pm

If mine, I would scrape it using furniture scrapers (I no longer use sandpaper) and would thenwet sand it with annoil or wiping varnish (Arm-R-Seal from Woodcraft) finish to fill the checks with the slurry of the wood it made of. Those checks will disappear ...

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:54 pm

If you are worried about the large crack spreading then I would place bamboo pins at an angle through the back butt end so the pin holes are hidden. Drill a small hole at an angle through the crack on each side, insert glue and place a bamboo pin into the hole slightly below the tiny hole then fill it with a wood dust putty from the same wood taken from the drill shavings & your glue of choice. Reduce the drill shavings to a wood dust powder not chips for such a small crack repair. Mortar & pestle works good or sand paper dust from the same wood. Use this glue mixed with wood dust putty as a filler to rub over the hole to hide the repair which will also be covered with the butt plate. Also color your glue and mix some wood powder dust into the glue and use it to fill the cracks. I would use Devcon 2 ton epoxy. Then scrape the surface and blend in the repair so it is not visible and do a light repair to the varnish depending on its condition to the rest of the stock. You will have to practice with colors to see what matches best when dry/ (not wet) so the color of the glue works out best to hid the repair.

Others would force Devcon 2 ton epoxy into the crack-- forcing it into the crack with finger pressure. Then you can top fill with a wood dust putty glue. That way the thin glue is really forced into the crack and only the upper level is filled with the colored wood dust putty. Some insert glue with hypodermic needles, but forcing it into the crack with finger pressure works ok. You can leave it at that or also insert angled bamboo of fishing pole fiberglass very thin pins. Make sure the outer surface of the pin is rough, not smooth. You want something for the glue to grab. With pins you can also consider Titebond III ultimate wood glue. For the cracks use only Devcon 2 ton epoxy.
Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 12.09.34 PM.png
On the back of the butt you should be able to fill any small cracks with Decon 2 ton or Titebond III after that big crack is filled and hardened. Fill the little cracks from the back with forced-in Titebond III glue which can be washed off the back wood with a wet rag --it is water based. That way it appears like a thin varnish was wiped over the dry wood. Blending in the varnish ( unsure what it is: linseed oil, lacquer, BLO, varnish??) on the butt of the stock may take some work. It does not appear to be original?? Is it ?
Last edited by 72 usmc on Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:39 pm

we need to see more of the stock finish. It does not appear original. Looks nasty. What type of rifle?
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Atamis
United States of America

#5 Post by Atamis » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:17 pm

Thanks. I typically use acraglass for all my repairs. Pins might be a good idea. I'm not so worried about the cosmetic look of pushing wood dust down the top so much as trying ot prevent the plits from going deeper.

This is a Spanish mauser. The rest of the finish isn't as bad as the, butt. Its scraped off and has dings the whole length. I do not thing it is factory original, i havn't found much information on these rifles and even less on proper finish. The current theary i've gathered is they left the factory with oil but soldiers took it upon themselves to refinish them once in a while since a good amount of spanish mausers and the FR7/8s seem to have varnish in no particular order.
Stripping it off completely and re-oiling what something i was pondering doing anyway.
Attachments
Spancrest.jpg
Spanmau.jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#6 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:43 pm

There seems to be a wide range in stock finish on those odd Spanish $100 Mausers. Yours does not seem to have a patina and I have no idea if its an original finish. I do not own any of the Spanish rifles.

Some nice close ups of stocks in these links.
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... oduct=8212

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhgwMU73rmk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjSalwcSko0

http://masterton.us/Spanmauhome

Atamis
United States of America

#7 Post by Atamis » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:19 am

Its not an M1916 actually. Its an 1893 made in 1907. Still a long rifle. It was my understanding reading through off hand sources they were refurbished by spain after the civil war. Weather they varnished them is another story. I do not thing they did, but they did reblue everything and relined/changed barrels as needed.

Atamis
United States of America

#8 Post by Atamis » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:25 am

Just a follow up. I went ahead and stripped the varnish off and decided on a normal linseed oil finish.

I drizzled epoxy into the checks, and used sanding dust to fluff up the repair on the outside and provide a better surface to blend texture wise. I experimented with the largest check and stuck a thin waffer or walnut laminate primarily to keep the glob of epoxy from oozing out, but also to see if it would look decent. It stands out but otherwise would look fine if it was sanded to a point and tapped down into the crack before being epoxied. As you can see I only went partially down.

Otherwise i am pleased with how it turned out. I need to fix the buttplate fitment somehow, either by grinding the plate to match, or getting some donor wood for a much more intrusive rebuild.
I didn't bother to aggressively blend the underside of the butt. So you can see all the epoxy and where the filled checks were.
Attachments
glueball.jpg
Spanlongr.jpg
spanbuttplate.jpg
SpanbuttL.jpg
Spanbutt.jpg

Candyman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#9 Post by Candyman » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:07 pm

Your repairs turned out good, but I’ll give you a little advice, reinforcement is needed.
You should always determine why a stock is cracking because, if you don’t address the case it may crack again.
The cracks in your stock are stress cracks caused by the stock getting wet and drying. The cracks are following the wood grain. To stop theses types of cracks you should drill into the cracks from the butt to just a little deeper then the cracks. Fill the holes with wood dowels and Acraglas.
If you look in the repair stickies there’s one that covers the repairs.

Reverend Mauser
United States of America

#10 Post by Reverend Mauser » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:20 pm

Good to see Candyman back on the board!

Return to “Stock Care and Replacement Stocks”