Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

old water stained butt stock

milboltnut
United States of America

old water stained butt stock

#1 Post by milboltnut » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:23 pm

Hi all,
I have a butt stock water stained and it looks like it's been that way for a long time. I tried bleach and water and scouring powder with bleach, next up tooth paste with whitening in it. Any other ways please share.

Thank you in advance

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Re: old water stained butt stock

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:07 pm

Depends on the damage, how deep the stain is, color of stain, is wood eaten away, and what type of wood. Is it a light stain like a water ring from a cup, or was the stock in a flooded basement for a day or two? Some things can be sort of fixed, others are beyond saving. Any Pictures of the damage? For maple or oak- I used this on floors: Oxalic acid.

We had a christmas tree stand on a carpet and my better half just keeps adding water to the tree soaking the rug and this sat on a maple floor for a week and left a dark water mark ring. We got to it with Oxalic acid and some sanding then blending in and mixing color to cover up the mark. If you are looking for it, you can still find the spot, but otherwise it went OK. It would have been better to refinish then entire floor area for a perfect match. So you will never get it perfect. It might be easier to get a stock replacement if its a 2 piece stock.
see https://www.popularwoodworking.com/proj ... ching-wood
Do some research on oxalic acid and its dangers.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/bleaching-wood/

http://antiquerestorers.com/Articles/je ... bleach.htm
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

milboltnut
United States of America

#3 Post by milboltnut » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:17 pm

it's a Carcano... don't know what kind of wood. But the satin is black stains. I'm guessing it was in a flooded basement?

There's one stain that's almost gone with the bleached scouring powder I used.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:57 pm

I think Carcanos are Beech and also walnut.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

milboltnut
United States of America

#5 Post by milboltnut » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:41 pm

This one is beech.... comet with bleach works well. This is the third coat, tomorrow will tell if I need another.

Return to “Stock Care and Replacement Stocks”