Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

French M16 - Splice and wrist repair.

Atamis
United States of America

French M16 - Splice and wrist repair.

#1 Post by Atamis » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:43 pm

Recently got an unloved Berthier. Had to do some repairs to the repairs. This one on the tang was missing completely so I did my best to splice repair it. Weird gap revealed itself after it was shaved and sanded smooth. Hoping the epoxy blends in with the finish once a few more oil/wax layers are built up.

Stock was absolutly saturated in oil and cosmoline. As you can see.

Cleaned it up and used an old 1903 drill rifle stock as a donor. They looked the same, or so i thought.

Heres the repair after being filed and smoothed. Red Oak? I'm not even sure.

Now the hard part that i haven't done yet. The wrist is cracked pretty badly. It opened up a bit after being deep cleaned. Clamping will not close the gap so i assume something is lodged inside or the fibers swelled excessivly.

My current plan it to drill along the crack through the tang slot and use it as a leverage spot to pry it open slightly to hopefully knock any debris out so it will close. Theres not really a way to blindly go through the crack boundry without leaving an outside hole or having to bore through the trigger area.

Enfield Shooter
United States of America

Re: French M16 - Splice and wrist repair.

#2 Post by Enfield Shooter » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:07 am

The wrist looks like advice from Candyman would be a good thing to have. He is the resident stock repair guru. That split doesn't look good!
David
"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899

Candyman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: French M16 - Splice and wrist repair.

#3 Post by Candyman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:54 pm

To blend your splice repair use stain or die on a Qtip . You can test the color on whe same wood you made the splice from.
Sometimes you just can’t get old cracks to close up. If your epoxy is lighter then the stock it will blend better when filling the gap.
Check the sticky on wrist repair.

Return to “Stock Care and Replacement Stocks”