Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

How to remove MOLD from a stock. -Images Missing-

Zeliard
United States of America

How to remove MOLD from a stock. -Images Missing-

#1 Post by Zeliard » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:04 pm

Originally posted by Candyman

Note: Superfluous comments not included.

Note: Missing images in italics.

Mold is a bad thing, like cancer, to have on a stock and if it is not removed it will spread.
This post will show you how to remove and kill the mold so that it does not come back.

As always we need a Victim, and our victim will be a Turkish Walnut 1893 Mauser stock That has been sitting in The Foster Home for Broken and Unwanted Stocks. This stock is being adopted by bitrclng and needed to be cleaned and repaired.
Here are a few close up pic's.
You can see the light gray and dark spots on the stock. If left untreated the stock will rot over time.

This is a pretty easy job and here are the things that you will need.
Rubber gloves.
Clorox Bleach.
Paper towels and some water.
And as you can see, Preachere's FN 49 stock (aka:Stinky) joined in the fun also.

Mix one cap of Bleach with 2/3 cup of water.
If you use too much bleach you could damage the wood.

Since these two stocks are going to be refinished, I stripped them with Strip-X stripper before I started with the mold removal. (Stripper will not kill the mold)
First you will need to wet the stock and let it sit for a min. or two. This will allow the mold to activate (wake up).

Next dip your paper towel onto your bleach mix and wipe the stock down. Allow the stock to dry for about 4 hours and wipe it down again. You will need to wipe the stock down 4 to 5 times. This will kill the mold.

Well here are our Victims the next afternoon after the 4th wipe down was dry.

At this point you are ready to prep the stock to be refinished or do the repairs.
As always, I hope that this helps some of you and if you have any questions, just ask.
The Turkish stock was in really bad need of repair and it took over 15 repairs to fix it, but that's another post. :wink:
Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

Return to “Stock Care and Replacement Stocks”