Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

How to strip a stock using a chemical stripper.

Zeliard
United States of America

How to strip a stock using a chemical stripper.

#1 Post by Zeliard » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:47 pm

Original authors in bold.

Note: Superfluous comments not included.

Candyman

I have had a lot of Members ask me about stripping the finish off of stocks so I said to myself, " Just do a post on stripping a stock. " So here we are.
Here are the things that you will need to get the job done.

#1 Drop cloth (plastic trash bag works great)
#2 A can of paint stripper that is made to use with wood.
#3 Old paint brush (not too big)
#4 Scraper
#5 Scrub brush (can use scrub pads)
#6 Small tray or bowl
#7 A bucket
#8 Rubber gloves

Now I like Klean Strip brand Strip-X in the red and gold can. They make one in a blue and gold can but I find that this is the one that works the best. Be careful when using on laminated stocks, it will remove the glue.

If it gets on your skin, it will start to feel cold (it's burning you) just wash it off with water.

#-o I almost forgot. We need a victim, so todays victim will be a Marlin Birch stock. It still has the factory finish and it is in great shape. One reason I picked this stock is because, the finish is a poly base finish with a stain in it. This is not a very easy finish to remove. The other reason I picked this stock is for something I have coming up and you will just have to wait and see. :lol:

Well lets get started. First spread out your drop cloth and then pour some of the stripper into your tray.

Then using your paint brush just dap the stripper onto the stock. Do not try and brush it on because, it will be too thin. Just dab it on a little thick.

This stuff is great because it will cling to the surface. As you can see in this pic. the finish is coming off on to the drop cloth.
Now let it sit for 15 to 30 min. to let the stripper work. Remember, if it is wet, it is working.

Don't let the stripper dry on the stock. While it is still wet use your brush to scrub the finish loose. At this time you can use your scraper too or, a scrub pad.

Then put the stock into your bucket of water and scrub the stock, then spray it off with water, and wipe dry. The key here is to wash off the stripper, not let it soak.

Here it is after rinsing it off. This is a hard finish and will need another coat of stripper. Just let it dry very good before using the stripper.

And here it is the next day, all dry.

If you find that your stock still has a little finish left on it, you will need to strip it again.
As you can see the stripper in getting more stain and finish off the stock. Just do everything the same as before.

After you rinse the stock and let it dry, it is ready for a light sanding and what ever finish you wish to use.

You can also use Strip-X to remove Cosmo like in these pic's.

And as always I hope that this will help some of you and if you have any questions, just ask.

shoot4fun

Please go lightly with the scraper. Sometimes (depending on the stripper, type of wood, condition of the wood, etc), the surface of the wood will get a little soft, and can be gouged with metal scrapers. plastic scrapers work well too. Plastic lids from yogurt/sour cream containers work well (depending on the stripper - some aren't too friendly to the plastic)

Like Candyman has said many times, go slow, be patient, take your time etc, etc.

If you have to scrape hard, you have not let the stripper work long enough, didn't apply enough stripper, or may need to reapply another coat. It doesn't all have to come clean after the first application.

Candyman

Shoot4fun
Thanks for pointing that out. I had forgot to put anything in the post about the scraper. With Srtip-X you will not be able to use plastic scrapers because, they will melt. And the only reason you will need a scraper is to remove large amounts of loose finish before and after scrubing. Most of the time I do not use a scraper.

requiem

Would i use this or DA to remove the shellac, etc. from my 91/30's and my K98's?

Candyman

A chemical stripper will remove Shellac faster then Denatured Alcohol but, both can be used to remove a Shellac finish.

ShinyPartsUp

Thanks Gunny. I'm using your instructions to do my first ugly refinishing ever -- on a type 53 stock. Some decent wood underneath, but I will have to do at least one more stripper coat. One thing I don't know for sure as a noob is, how long should the stock dry before I attempt another stripper session? (Not the type that involves bright lights and poles).

Candyman

Most Type 53s dont have much finish on them so, you shouldn't need to strip it more then twice, unless someone had applied some type of poly finish to it.
Stripper will remove oil, but it is not the best for removing deep soaked in oil.
Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

Return to “Stock Care and Replacement Stocks”