Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

How to repair a split and chipped handguard.

Zeliard
United States of America

How to repair a split and chipped handguard.

#1 Post by Zeliard » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Originally posted by Candyman.

I was going to call this post, How to repair a handguard that's two steps away from the Trashcan, But that would not fit.
So to start off, my repair post are to help you to repair your stocks, to show how easy it is, and also to show you that almost anything can be saved.
The handguard in the repair belongs to Ronny and I do hope he is so kind to add a pic. of it as soon as he has it back on his rifle.

Well here is the victim; It's for a Persian Mauser.
As you can see there is a crack that goes all the way through the front of the handguard.

And there are several chips of wood missing from the back and along the bottom.

First you will need to clean the areas that will be repaired. I like to use Denatured Alcohol for this.
Once it is cleaned and dried put Fiberglass resin along the front crack and flex the crack to get the resin into the crack.

Now to clamp the handguard to close up the crack. I once asked an old Gunsmith how to do this and he said "Just hog tie that SOB to a piece of wood with a small rope" . Well this is how you do that. Use a piece of string coated with candle wax or past wax, and a small flat piece of wood covered with wax paper. Just wrap the string like this around the stick and handguard. After a few wraps the string will hold itself.

On the back side I cut the corner flat so that I could glass on a small piece of wood to replace the missing cornner and used resin and sanding dust to fill in all of the chips. now you just have to set it aside and let it dry.

After everything has dried 2 to 3 hours you can start to dress it up. First untie the clamp and check out your work.

I then like to use a wood hand file to reshape everything. I do use a Dremel tool, but you must be careful because you can mess up with the dremel real fast.

After everything is dressed up you need to let the repairs cure for 24 hours and then your ready to refinish.
If you do find any small gaps or air bubbles, just mix up a small amount of resin and fill them, let dry and dress them up.
This repair was done in one evening after work and is not very hard to do.
As always, if you have any questions just ask
I hope this will help you.
Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

Return to “Stock Care and Replacement Stocks”