Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Enfield No.1 & No.4, common stock damage and how to address

Zeliard
United States of America

Enfield No.1 & No.4, common stock damage and how to address

#1 Post by Zeliard » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:29 pm

Originally posted by Candyman.

If you own an Enfield No.1 & No.4, it is more then likely that your stock is cracked. Just remove the fore stock and you may find something like this,

These cracks are very common due to a few things.
#1 The stock bolt sticks out of the wrist socket too much and is impacting the rear of the fore stock.
#2 You remove the buttstock before removing the fore stock. (No1 MkIII)
#3 Your rifle is loose in the stock.

You may only have a minor crack or a major one but, they both need to be repaired. And yes that minor crack will become a major crack in time. The bad thing about the minor crack is that it may only look minor but can run deeper then you know.
I use Brownells Acraglas to do all of my repairs. It cost a little more but is worth the money.
So here is how to repair your stock without any of the work showing after your are done.
First you will need to clean the oil from the damaged area. If it is oil soaked I like to use Strip-X to do my first cleaning.

Strip-X is a light gel and will cling to the stock. Just apply it to the inside of the stock, by dabbing it on with a small brush. (Remember this, if it's wet, it's working)

Do not let the stripper dry on the stock. After 15 to 20 min. scrub the stripper off with a brush and water.

For those deep cracks I like to drill into them , then wash them out with Denatured Alcohol.

I like to use Bamboo dowels on my repairs when the dowel will not show after the repair is done.

If the rear area has had a lot of stress, it is best to reinforce the rear of the mag well with fiberglass cloth, as you can see in the pic's

Now all we have to do is dress this puppy up.

If you have a minor crack that is to the left or right side of the rear of the stock, I would drill into the stock a little to be sure to lock the area in so that it will not crack later.

If the crack is in the thin strip in the middle I would just clean it out and fill the crack with the fiberglass resin like this one.

Or you can reinforce the rear section like this.

The Enfield stock is very easy to work on because it is open and and most of the surfaces are flat.

And as always I hope that this post will help some of you. If you have any questions feel free to ask and remember that the only dumb question is the question not asked.
Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

Return to “Stock Care and Replacement Stocks”