Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

How to splice in a pice of wood/ fix a crack in a thin area

Zeliard
United States of America

How to splice in a pice of wood/ fix a crack in a thin area

#1 Post by Zeliard » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:18 pm

Originally posted by Candyman.

Here is a repair that I did on an old Remington 870 corncob forearm. This repair will show you how to splice in a piece of wood and also how to fix a crack in a thin area.

This is what I started with. First was to remove the old repair and clean up the area to be repaired. I used a wood cutting bit on a dremel tool to get my lines straight and a milling bit to make everything flat.

Next cut a piece of wood to fit the area you cut out. Use a wood that is as close a match as you can or one that will stain easy.

Test fit to make sure that everything is just right.

Mask off everything that you don't want to get fiberglass on. Wax paper works great.

You will need to apply glass to the stock and the new piece of wood to make sure that everything is covered then clamp in place.

And yes the repair piece is much bigger then it needs to be but it helps when clamping everything together. Once it is dry remove the masking tape and check out your work.

Now you will just need to trim everything up and reshape the area.

Now for the area on the top of the grip. The area is very thin but it's easy to fix.
The crack is about 2.5 inches long and you will need to remove wood on both sides of the crack.

Next cut 2 strips of fiberglass cloth or mesh to cover the area. Put glass on the area you cut out, then place the first piece of cloth on top. Make sure there are no air bubbles then put some more glass on and the next piece of cloth.

After it dries use a rasp to cut it back to shape.
Use small wood files to dress everything up and your done. Let it cure for a day before applying a finish.

I hope this helps you with your next repair.
Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

Return to “Stock Care and Replacement Stocks”