Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

How to repair a crack in the recoil lug area of your stock

Zeliard
United States of America

How to repair a crack in the recoil lug area of your stock

#1 Post by Zeliard » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:13 pm

Originally posted by Candyman.

Have you ever found a really nice stock but it was cracked at the recoil lug area? Or when you clean up one of your guns and find that heart breaking crack. Some will tell you that your stock is a goner, but that is because they just don't know much about stocks.

As most of you know, I only use Acraglass for my repairs. That is because I have not been able to find anything else that works as good and will last as long. So when you find one of these cracks you will have to get resin all the way down into the crack or it will not hold.

This post will help to show you how to do just that.

Most of the time my repair posts just have one victim, but this one will have two so that you will have a better idea of how to do it.

Our two victims will be, #1 the K 31 stock that I fixed for Ed to be used at the Veteran's fun shoots, and #2 is a well used K98 stock.

Well, here is victim #1. After putting the stock back together I thought I was ready to start the refinish. [-(

I stripped the old finish off the stock and found this sweet little crack. I knew that this stock would be seeing a lot of use and this crack would would only get bigger.

This area of the stock is very hard to flex and the resin would dry before it would have time to soak it's way deep into the crack. So here is what I did. I drilled two holes deep into the crack so that the resin would be able to get all the way down into it. When clamping the area be careful that you do not over tighten the clamp.

I then put dowels into the holes and put a little sanding dust on top to keep the resin from running. Then clamped it up.

Once the resin has cured, just dress it up.

Now for victim #2. This stock had a lot of oil in it. I had to clean it up with denatured alcohol before doing the repair.
The crack went from the top of the stock down to the cross bolt and then started at the bottom of the bolt going down.

I drilled the first hole from inside the bottom of the mag. well. I filled it with resin and put a dowel into it (when you fill the hole with resin then push the dowel in, it helps to force the resin into the crack.)

I then drilled down into the stock from the top and filled with resin and pushed in a dowel.

Everything was clamped up and allowed to cure, then I used my dremel to dress it up.

Take your time and shape everything to make it look nice.

Here is what it looked like after it was all done.

Both of these stocks were repaired in pretty much the same way but just a little different.

As always I hope that this will help some of you and ask any questions if you wish.

This repair is easy to do and the only thing that takes time is when you have to do it in more then one step.
Now if the cross bolt is not fitted good and is loose in the stock, all you need to do is glass bed the recoil lug area after the crack is repaired.
I have a Mauser that has a loose fitted cross bolt that I will have to glass bed and will make a post on it when I do it.
Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

Polock
United States of America

Re: How to repair a crack in the recoil lug area of your stock

#2 Post by Polock » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:40 pm

Thank you! I always relied on the craftsmen on this forum for advice/help/tutorials on how to do it the right way.
Good to see help is still being offered since the "crash"--
"I have never seen a situation so desperate that the arrival of a policeman did not make worse"
Brendan Behan, Irish poet

Return to “Stock Care and Replacement Stocks”