Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Removal & repair of worn out buttplate screws on a Mauser

Zeliard
United States of America

Removal & repair of worn out buttplate screws on a Mauser

#1 Post by Zeliard » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:02 pm

Original authors in bold.

Have you ever ran across a Mauser stock with a flat buttplate that had the screw at the heel just slap worn out? Well if you like Turkish Mauser like me, then you know what I'm talking about. Some of the screws are so worn that there is not enough of the slot left to even get your screwdriver tip into. And some times you run across something like this;

It looks more like a nail then a screw. :lol:

Well this post is to show you not only how to remove but also repair this type of worn out screw.
I have seen where some have just drilled off the top of the screw head to get the buttplate off then use pliers to remove the screw. The problem with doing it like that is that you have to get another screw and when you put it in, it just kind of sticks out a little on the top side.
Here I will show you how to save that ugly screw. First you will need just a few basic tools and here they are.

A dremel with a cutting disk and a pack of needle files. Oh! and a steady hand. :wink:
Our Victim is an ATF Turkish Mauser that I got from DeaconD about two weeks ago.
First pick the spot that you will re cut the slot, if it is gone like the one in the pic. If there is a shallow slot left just go with it.

Use the dremel with a cutting disk and cut the slot but, do not cut so deep that you cut into the buttplate.

Next use a needle file with a flat straight side and square off the slot.

Test fit your screwdriver bit. If the slot is not deep enough on the sides, then get an old screwdriver and file off the edges to fit the slot better and back the screw out.

Once you have the screw out you can finish dressing up the slot with the needle file.

Now your screw is ready to be re installed or refinished. Total work tine for this repair was less then 15 min.

Boy was there a lot of dirt under that buttplate, #-o Just look at the poor fit. I guess I have a little more work to do on this one. :lol:

I hope this will help a few of you and as always, if you have questions or comments, feel free to post them for everyone to see.

Gunfreak25

Oh! Pick me I have a question!!

What about stripped out screw heads (the ones on 2A rifles come to mind). How do you repair those? Lots of times the slot is still there, but the edges are so rounded and worn from the goofballs using god knows what to unscrew the screws.

Candyman

Repairing a buggered up screw is not all that hard to do. You just need to use a small hammer and tap the metal back into place then use a niddle file to dress it up. The hardest part is getting something to hols the screw while your smacking it with your hammer. A gunsmith bench block will work great and anyone that likes to tinker with guns should have one on his bench.

http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=bench+block

Yugom5966

I did the same thing on my Turkish Mauser. It had the brass screws, so it was like the one pictured. Worked great!
Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

Return to “Stock Care and Replacement Stocks”