Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

How to do an Arsenal repair on a Mosin Forestock.

Zeliard
United States of America

How to do an Arsenal repair on a Mosin Forestock.

#1 Post by Zeliard » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:53 pm

Originally posted by Candyman.

This repair will be done on a Polish Wz48 Trainer stock. The stock is the same size as a M44 stock but, doesn't have the cut out for the cleaning rod.

First you will need to cut away the damaged area or just square up the area to be repaired.

I was in luck that a donor stock was shipped along with the stock to be repaired so, cutting the replacement parts was easy.
After you have your parts cut clean them with Denatured Alcohol to remove any oil from the surface.
I then mixed up some fiberglass resin and applied some to both surfaces.

I then used wax coated cord to hold the piece in place while the resin cured.
And yes that is two stocks in the photo. The other is also a Wz48 stock that needed the front right side fixed along with a few other things but, that's for another post.

After the resin has cured the cord is removed. You can see that the repair piece is just a tad over sized and there is some extra resin that will need to be cleaned up.

I used my trusty wood file to dress everything up. If this is your first time don't get into a rush, just take your time and don't remove any more wood then you have to. I used a drill bit the same size as the barrel band spring pin to drill out the hole to remove any resin that got into the hole.

Now for the hardest part of the repair, getting everything to match up without having to refinish the stock.

I got the stain as close as I could and hand rubbed in a coat of BLO.
The stock is made of Beech and is very hard to stain. I used an oil base stain and an Alcohol base stain to get the color that I wanted.

As you can see this is a very simple repair and should take you no longer then a day to complete.
I do hope that this helps some of you to make your repairs.
And as always feel free to ask questions.

Here are two more Arsenal repairs

Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

Return to “Stock Care and Replacement Stocks”