Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

How to make and use cross grain Plugs to fill holes.

Zeliard
United States of America

How to make and use cross grain Plugs to fill holes.

#1 Post by Zeliard » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:01 pm

Originally posted by Candyman

This post will be to show you how to dress up an old screw hole. This type of repair can be used to fill any type of hole or to hide screws. This repair is not to make things stronger but just to dress things up.
The plugs are called Cross Grain Plugs because they are cut with the cross grain of the wood and not with the grain like dowels are. They tend to blend in better and give your repairs a nicer look.

Well our victim will be a Polish Wz48 Trainer stock that belongs to Preachere (Eric). It had an old repair where someone had glued ( dirty word ) the toe back onto the stock and used a screw to help hold things together. Well the glue didn't hold and the screw left an ugly hole.

Here is all that you will need to make the repair and it can be done in just a few hours.

You can make plugs by hand but it is much faster with a set of plug cutters. I will be making a 1/4" plug to fill the hole.

You can use reg. drill bits but, Forstner bits make a much cleaner hole. I will be using the 1/4" bit to clean up the screw hole.

The donor stock that I am using is made of Beech Wood, the same as the stock. Always try to match the wood so that the repair will look nicer. Here is the Plug after it was cut.

Next I used the Forstner bit to dress up the hole. This hole does not have to be too deep.

You will not have to mix up very much Acraglas for the repair. This little bit will be more then enough.

After you have mixed up the resin just fill the hole about half way then put the plug into the hole.
I like my plugs to stick out a little so that I can turn them to line up the grain.

After the resin is dry, just use the files to dress the plug up.

I didn't add any dye to the resin because the wood is very light in color.
Let the resin cure for 24 hours before you apply any stain or any type of finish.
All that needs to be done now is to do a light sanding of the area and use some Golden Walnut stain on the plug so that it will match the color of the stock a little better.

As you can see this repair is not that hard.
And as always I hope that this will help some of you and as always ask any questions that you may have.
Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

Return to “Stock Care and Replacement Stocks”