Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

How to repair stripped buttplate screw holes

Zeliard
United States of America

How to repair stripped buttplate screw holes

#1 Post by Zeliard » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:32 pm

Originally posted by Candyman.

Many people will tell you many different ways to make this type of repair but, I do find that many of these types of repairs are just shortcuts or a quick fix. By now most of you know how I feel about shortcuts, They will always show in the end.
Here is a pic. of a short cut.

For this repair Our Victim will be a Finn 28/30 Mosin stock. The Buttstock screw holes have been oil soaked for years and have what I call Oil Rot. When wood is soaked with oil for a long time it will get soft and the threads in screw holes will just strip out.
To make this repair you will have to remove any soft wood or your repair will not hold for very long.
So lets get started.

This is not a very hard repair and can be done in one day. You may wish to do one hole at a time or you can do both.
Tools needed, other then drill and bit, Dremel and file for clean up. It is always best to have everything ready before you start.

First select a drill bit large enough to remove the soft wood in the screw hole and it should be just a little bigger then the dowel that you will use to make the repair. Drill the holes just a little deeper then the original screw holes, then clean out the holes with Denatured Alcohol to remove and oil that may be in the hole.

After you have cleaned out any oil, mix and add the fiberglass resin.

Put the dowels in. You can cut them to be flush with the top of the hole before you glass them in but, I like to have a little sticking out and trim off later. I also put small cuts along the sides of the dowels to get a better lock with the resin.

Tape off the areas where the resin may run.

This one had a crack going right through the screw hole so, I clamped it. You can see the scotch tape on the top of the stock. I was fixing both screw holes at the same time and the tape was used as a damn to keep the resin from running.

Now all that is needed is to dress everything up, which should only take me about 10 to 15 min. Then Drill the holes and replace the buttplate.

I used my Dremel and a file to dress up the dowels prior to drilling the pilot holes.

Set your buttplate on the stock and use a punch to mark where you will drill your pilot holes then drill the holes but, make sure that you drill them deep enough or you may strip out the holes and will have to start over.

Coat the threads of the screws with some paste wax and screw them into the stock with the buttplate in place. The paste wax will help the screw go into the stock much easier

Now doesn't that look nice.

Now your ready to go and bash in the heads of the bad guys again.
As you can see this is an easy repair and no shortcuts are needed.
And as always, if you have any questions or comments please post them for all to see and learn.

Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

Return to “Stock Care and Replacement Stocks”