Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Crossbolt Setback

shoggoth80
United States of America

Crossbolt Setback

#1 Post by shoggoth80 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:16 pm

So, I have this problem on...a Mauser. Lol. Of course a Mauser. It's not extreme. No wood has cracked from it as far as I can tell. The outside flats of the crossbolt have moved back a little bit, and you can see a little deformation in the wood behind them (slight peel to the right side, swell on the left).

I know this is fixable. I don't want to shoot it until I either patch it up, or get it patched up. It took a little convincing to get the rifle apart. The wood still smells of Turkoline under the metal. It's a 1954 ATF converted Gew. 98. I would prefer to preserve it. I understand these were the last of the Gew98 conversions, and the last Turkish military bolt actions (therefore not many of them around). I've thought of a sporter stock for shooting... But why? I'm not a fan of that look. Materials to fix probably still cost less anyway.

I have heard of people glassing the area behind the bolt. I have also heard of folks moving the bolt back forward and drilling/inserting metal pins behind the bolt. Is there a best practice? Candyman? I've thought about farming it out to a local Smith... But just haven't seen much positive in my area from friends' experiences.

I'll get pics later tonight to illustrate.
Edit: So after getting in there with a better light, there is some cracks, and wood setback in the stock. Doesn't change the need for repair, just the extent of what needs repairing.
Last edited by shoggoth80 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shoggoth80
United States of America

Re: Crossbolt Setback

#2 Post by shoggoth80 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:57 pm

20170822_114848-1.jpg
20170822_114729-1.jpg
20170822_114714-1.jpg
20170822_114700-1.jpg
20170822_114643-1.jpg

bobvz
United States of America

#3 Post by bobvz » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:20 pm

frankly i dont see setback. it appears the crossbolt mortise was a tad lower than the top of the crossbolt leaving some wood on top. you need to smoke the recoil lug on the receiver and determine how well it contacts the recoil lug first. you may not have an issue. you could spot in the receiver and level out the bedding behind the lug.

Candyman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by Candyman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:16 am

In the last pic you can see that the area behind the cross bolt is starting to crack.
This is caused by two things. One is that the rifle was fired with loose action screws. The other is that the wood has become soft due to being oil soaked.
I have seen where a wedge is placed in front or behind the cross bolt, but that is just a bandaid.
What I have found that works the best is to glassbed the cross bolt. You will need to remove the cross bolt and clean the stock. Remove some wood from behind the cross bolt and bed it in place.

Hammy
United States of America

#5 Post by Hammy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:03 am

Perfect timing. I was going to post a question about the same repair for my K98. Thanks guys!
U.S. Marine Corps 1975-1979
Combat Engineer

Return to “Stock Care and Replacement Stocks”