Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Turk Mauser Stock - Can it be saved? Is it worth it?

CRomanos
United States of America

Turk Mauser Stock - Can it be saved? Is it worth it?

#1 Post by CRomanos » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:42 pm

I picked up this Turk Mauser barrelled action and separate stock years ago and started cleaning up the stock over the weekend. I found that under the grit and grime (and there was plenty of it) the stock has cracks and signs of recoil damage - I'll leave it up to the group to advise as to how bad it is, but here are the issues I saw:
  • Crack that goes all the way along the wrist, starting at the magazine cutout
  • Crack on the forend from the very tip under the front barrel band to just before the cutout for the front barrel band spring
  • Obvious stress on the front recoil lug where it's pushed back into the wood of the stock by about 1/16" give or take
So, I'm wondering if this stock is worth saving and would it be safe to shoot if it were, or if I'm better off finding a replacement stock for the barrelled action, possibly even a sporter stock. The receiver had been drilled and tapped for a scope mount in the past, so it's not exactly pristine, either.

Pic's below - I'm looking forward to the group's advice.
20180603_234147.jpg
Top View - Detail
20180603_234337.jpg
Bottom View - Detail
20180603_234101.jpg
Forend Detail
20180603_234234.jpg
Recoil Lug - Right
20180603_233931.jpg
Receiver Detail

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Re: Turk Mauser Stock - Can it be saved? Is it worth it?

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:56 pm

Candyman would fix it, I would just buy a nice original finish Turk mauser stock as a replacement. They are still around and under $100. Since the rifle is a shooter it would make a great leaning project if you fix it. See candymans stickies.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

steamer
United States of America

#3 Post by steamer » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:44 am

Oh heck yes - This section on has a little over two pages of posts - Just review the "How to ..." post titles and see which ones apply to your situation. Many of Candyman's best posts are there (many thanks to Zeliard) so look them over and don't be afraid to tackle the job. With a little knowledge from an expert, you'll be amazed at what you can do.

Zeliard
United States of America

#4 Post by Zeliard » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:21 pm

Think of it this way: Even if you don't get it fixed you gained experience and it's already busted so no harm done. :)
Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

retread12345678
United States of America

#5 Post by retread12345678 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:30 pm

Don't know what the budget is, but if the stocks is fixable. put a scope on it and have is as a M98 sniper. No damage done

Return to “Stock Care and Replacement Stocks”