http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 x p38 pistol
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:25 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Got lucky this week when i went to a small armsshop who had two wartime p38 pistols. The price was 500 euros for each of them and the were a little rusted internally but still had good rifling. When i was thinking of if i would purchase them the seller suddenly said if you take both its 600 together, i couldnt refuse.
One is a ac41 (super happy an original walther) and the other is a cyq (spreewerke) but when i read up on the numbering on the spreewerke it doesnt go so far up, and the numbers look like stamped afterwards... Anybody got some knowledge about this? Give me your homest opinions please

ImageImageImage

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: 2 x p38 pistol
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:01 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

The last digit #3 is an add on and it is covering the block letter from the serial number making it hard to tell exactly when it was made.
Are there better and matching numbers on the slide, barrel or locking block? The locking block will have the last 3 digits and letter suffix.
The barrel and slide should have the full serial number and letter suffix as well. The pistol could be from Jan 1943 to Feb 1945.
It's very hard to tell without the letter suffix. It's possible this pistol was transferred to police use after the war where it was renumbered
or it's a mismatched slide on a newer frame. It's also possible it's a Russian capture which was reblued and reworked by Ivan.

Here is a link to a chart of production data from a P38 forum here in the US. http://www.p38forum.com/P38ProductionDates.pdf
It has data from all 3 wartime makers of the P38 and will help you date the AC 41 as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:37 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

500 Euros in $$$ is like $537??? If true, that is a deal on each one, more like $800-900 per pistol. Lucky man :dance: :doh: :shifty: :shhh: :shhh:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:06 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Usmc:Usually they go for 750-850 if its a wartime p38 and not a p1 (about 500 euros), now both together as a package he wants 600,so yes i immediatly baught them. (no reason to lie, i overpaid also a couple of times in my life but this is a bargain.

Bill: thx for. The info.
The ac 41 is easy to date. 1941 :) but the other one could be like you said. The barrel i dont remeber but slide and frame were same number. And i cant look untill the paperwork comes in at the police (europe/Belgium lots of paperwork, waiting period, police check....)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:08 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I got one in a trade but it is fishy due to dings in the metal?? Reported as a bring back, but I do not know if the guys dad is correct about it. Any way here it is and it shoots fine. his dad is gone and was a vet in WWII.
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=145364&hilit=+p38+pistol

I like how smooth your metal is under the blue, Maybe mine was reblued a long, long time ago after he brought it back??? My friend said he never saw his dad fire it since the early 1950s???

I assume you know about this link.
http://pistole38.nl/the-p38/ww2-variations

A nice retro toy:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=147011&hilit=+p38+airsoft

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:15 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Way to make a deal. :thumb: Congratulations on the latest additions to your collection.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:28 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Congratz usmc. I hope are every bit as fine. Still a little worried, the bore on the ac is very used, on the cyq has very deep grooves. And if you look closely on the first en second pic you can already see some bigger rustspots. I fear for the blueing like you saw, wartime blueing i am told is not always as deep as it is... Maybe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:20 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Cool stuff! :thumb: