Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

R. FAMAGE pawnshop-sporter project

bobvz
United States of America

Re: R. FAMAGE pawnshop-sporter project

#16 Post by bobvz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:49 pm

professrh wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:14 pm
bobvz wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:57 pm
I picked up one from a pawn shop too. It was in a Siles sporter stock (web split) and had a real nice forged bolt handle. Barrel was cherry inside but badly pitted outside. My 'smith at the time sent it to a barrel shop in Georgia where they contoured it to a slim sporter contour and eliminated the pits. It was D&T'd and a 3-9x40 scope was mounted. I repaired the stock. It is a perfect lightweight '06 and holds 1.25 in groups all day with handloads. Not bad for a re-bore military.
Any sense of what yours started out life as? Mine is stamped in various places with letter "C" acceptance marks, which suggests (according to Ball) that it may originally have been a Steyr m1912 carbine. The 23.25" barrel ( :shock: ) has evident wrench marks, but came to me covered in the same flaking black paint as the rest of the action. Arsenal replacement? Or maybe it grew a bit? (Or I'm way off base).

--Prof
Mine was a Steyr short rifle. Original barrel 23.25". Re-bored and chambered to .30-06. Apparently when they did this the barrel was not set back and a oversized '06 chambering reamer was used to clean up the chamber. Fired cases measured .480 at the head; the same as a 6.5x55. Accuracy was around 2". I took the fireformed cases and neck sized only. This shrunk groups down to the 1.25" range. The crown is a little worn and when I get around to it I'll re-crown and see if that helps even more.

CDFingers
United States of America

#17 Post by CDFingers » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:53 pm

I have a 7x57 Mauser project I'm working on. It's a great round, and your project is coming along nicely.

CDFingers

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#18 Post by Calfed » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:09 pm

I must admit a weakness for sportered Mausers, particularly the Argentine variety. I've got a nicely sported '09 Argentine that has been rebarreled to .308 caliber. I'm in load development now and it is looking promising.

One of the nice things about these rifles is that with patience and diligence, they can be had for a song. I wish you well with your project.

professrh
United States of America

#19 Post by professrh » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:51 pm

If that bolt doesn't come back soon, I may take the R. FAMAGE to the range along with the Venezuelan and swap the one bolt between the two rifles. I've already checked the headspace; the Vene bolt won't close on two layers of beverage can aluminum in the R.FAMAGE. I did put everything (else) back together this afternoon, subsequent to putting on the final coat of BLO the other day. . . .

--Prof

bobvz
United States of America

#20 Post by bobvz » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:20 pm

professrh wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:14 pm
bobvz wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:57 pm
I picked up one from a pawn shop too. It was in a Siles sporter stock (web split) and had a real nice forged bolt handle. Barrel was cherry inside but badly pitted outside. My 'smith at the time sent it to a barrel shop in Georgia where they contoured it to a slim sporter contour and eliminated the pits. It was D&T'd and a 3-9x40 scope was mounted. I repaired the stock. It is a perfect lightweight '06 and holds 1.25 in groups all day with handloads. Not bad for a re-bore military.
Any sense of what yours started out life as? Mine is stamped in various places with letter "C" acceptance marks, which suggests (according to Ball) that it may originally have been a Steyr m1912 carbine. The 23.25" barrel ( :shock: ) has evident wrench marks, but came to me covered in the same flaking black paint as the rest of the action. Arsenal replacement? Or maybe it grew a bit? (Or I'm way off base).

--Prof
Mine was Columbian, 7x57 rebore. It had issues with accuracy until I noticed the case heads were swelling. I measured and they were .480, the same as a 6.5 Swede. I began neck sizing only and groups shrank considerably. It likes Hornady 165 grain Spire Points and IMR 4895.

professrh
United States of America

#21 Post by professrh » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:32 pm

bobvz wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:20 pm
Mine was Columbian, 7x57 rebore. Mine had issues with accuracy until I noticed the case heads were swelling. I measured and they were .480, the same as a 6.5 Swede. I began neck sizing only and groups shrank considerably. It likes Hornady 165 grain Spire Points and IMR 4895.
Thanks, bobvz. I haven't measured case heads; I will. I do know that the headspace is remarkably tight. Fine with me. I plan to collet size for this one (if I ever get back to brass prep). Next range trip I'll see whether shimming the action did anything worth celebrating.

Watch this space. And thanks!

--Prof

bobvz
United States of America

#22 Post by bobvz » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:29 pm

I guessed that since the barrel wasn't set back they used a slightly oversized reamer to clean up the chamber. This resulted in the larger than normal case head. Not really a problem in a military rifle but can play havoc with the reloader. I had to wrap a 2mm width strip of aluminum tape around the case head a couple of times to allow the case to expand evenly when forming. Otherwise you get one side that blows out screwing up the case centering in the chamber and accuracy. It also has a slightly worn crown that I intend to refresh.

professrh
United States of America

#23 Post by professrh » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:23 pm

Okay, this is probably a dumb question, but could you resize (or fireform) 6.5x55 cases for use in your sporter, and go from there?

--Prof

bobvz
United States of America

#24 Post by bobvz » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:47 pm

professrh wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:23 pm
Okay, this is probably a dumb question, but could you resize (or fireform) 6.5x55 cases for use in your sporter, and go from there?

--Prof
Unfortunately not. the .30-06 case is 63 mm long and the Swede case is only 55mm long.

professrh
United States of America

#25 Post by professrh » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:20 am

Right you are! I was thinking 7x57. Too many concurrent projects.

professrh
United States of America

#26 Post by professrh » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:05 am

As noted above, I've "bedded" the action by adding shims between the recoil lug and the cross bolt, under the tang, and under the trigger guard at the rear action screw. I took the rifle to the range today, using (for a second time) the bolt from the Venezuelan heartbreaker. I did this last month (on 5/29), before I'd upgraded my shim-bedding system.

Back in May, shooting HXP surplus ammo, I got this:
r famage HXP 5-29.jpg

After upgrading the brass-shim system (adding, I think, the one under the trigger guard), I managed this group today (with the same ammo):
r famage HXP 6-19.jpg
Today's group is tighter, but I think there's still room for improvement. I did notice that once the barrel heated up, the pressure of the wood on the metal increased in places. It may yet be necessary to hog out a bit more wood in the barrel channel. And maybe to cork a spot near the stock tip, to buffer the pressure point. . . .

--Prof

S.B.
United States of America

#27 Post by S.B. » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:40 pm

I own a Spanish Mauser that I've considered sporterizing but, haven't yet? Just hate to mess with history.
Steve

professrh
United States of America

#28 Post by professrh » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:28 pm

S.B. wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:40 pm
Just hate to mess with history.
Steve
No need to if you don't want to. Hunt around a bit and you may be able to pick up a Spanish sporter for less than you'd pay a gunsmith to alter the one you've got. Almost certainly for far less than you'd pay to replace it.

--Prof

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#29 Post by Rapidrob » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Nice job. Try to find IMR-4831 for the '06. I've found the older rifles like it a little better than 4895 or 4064. The RAD 78 shows it likes the slower powders and should do well with them. H414 could be another to try.
If you can,shoot at 200 yards to see which loads really do the best job.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

professrh
United States of America

#30 Post by professrh » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:37 am

Rapidrob wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:45 pm
Nice job. Try to find IMR-4831 for the '06. I've found the older rifles like it a little better than 4895 or 4064. The RAD 78 shows it likes the slower powders and should do well with them. H414 could be another to try.
If you can,shoot at 200 yards to see which loads really do the best job.
Thanks, RapidRob.

Good to know about the slower powders with the older rifles. I have some H 4831 on hand. I was already planning to do more with the RAD 78/IMR 7383.

I also thought I'd try some Hybrid 100v, since its burn rate is between 4831 and 414. (None of my other rifles seem to like it much). Have you had any luck with Hybrid 100v in the 30-06?

--Prof

Return to “Sporterizing”