Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Noob Question: Fitting Bent Bolt to Receiver

professrh
United States of America

Noob Question: Fitting Bent Bolt to Receiver

#1 Post by professrh » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:39 pm

Okay, now that the bolt is here for the R. FAMAGE sporter (more at viewtopic.php?f=60&t=314 ), I know I'm going to have to remove some metal from the receiver to fit the bent bolt to the rifle. (And then, of course, I'll have to notch the stock).

I have removed the BR from the stock, and inserted the bolt. The bolt closes and everything functions (the rifle dry fires). However, I can tell that the bolt handle is making solid contact with the metal beneath it.

Question: how much receiver metal do I remove? Should I be able to put, say, white-out or a dab of grease on the bolt handle (where it's welded on), close the bolt, and have no material deposited on the receiver, or is that overkill?

Thanks for you help: I want to get this right before I start notching the stock. It'd be a drag to finish the entire job and then find out that I didn't complete step one before beginning step two (not to mention the risk that step two would have to be redone differently, to the permanent detriment of the stock's appearance).

--Professr Noob

professrh
United States of America

Re: Noob Question: Fitting Bent Bolt to Receiver

#2 Post by professrh » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:46 am

Okay, so there's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4HsEeFYekc . Nice visual at 0:54

professrh
United States of America

#3 Post by professrh » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:05 am

Got my answer from Larry Potterfield, as noted above. Results:
3.jpg
7.keeper.jpg
2.jpg
Used an assortment of files and some 400- and 600-grit sandpaper.

More on this at my R.FAMAGE thread (listed above).

Thanks for looking!

--Prof

Polock
United States of America

#4 Post by Polock » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:44 am

Looks like you did a good job! I just got a beater, bubba'd (is this a word??) No 4Mk1* on which I will attempt to commit refurb. As I am tool-challenged, never had the nerve to attempt butchery before--figure this one can't be made worse than it already is.
"I have never seen a situation so desperate that the arrival of a policeman did not make worse"
Brendan Behan, Irish poet

professrh
United States of America

#5 Post by professrh » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:44 pm

Polock wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:44 am
Looks like you did a good job! I just got a beater, bubba'd (is this a word??) No 4Mk1* on which I will attempt to commit refurb. As I am tool-challenged, never had the nerve to attempt butchery before--figure this one can't be made worse than it already is.
Thanks! It was a bit nerve-wracking, I won't lie. But rewarding. I've enjoyed the process. And I really do like the way the bolt turned out. Nice professional job there. Could never have done that myself.

For most of the rest of it, I went the hand-tool route because mistakes happen slower that way.

Return to “Sporterizing”