Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

M1911 not firing when the hammer drops.

KJakker
United States of America

M1911 not firing when the hammer drops.

#1 Post by KJakker » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:45 am

I recently bought an ATI FX Military 1911 pistol.

The first time I took it to the range I shot four magazines, 32 rounds, through it without any problem. Note that in addition to the 8-round ACT-MAG that came with the weapon I have also bought three Mec-Gar 1911 .45 ACP 8-round magazines none of which gave me any issues this first time shooting. After I got home I field-striped the pistol, cleaned, lubed, and resembled it.

The next time I took it to the range I started having a problem. With a full magazine in place and a round chambered I pulled the trigger, the hammer dropped and nothing. I waited like you are supposed to in case of a delayed primer then re-cocked the pistol and pulled the trigger again, nothing. I repeated that three times then ejected the round and examined it, it had a couple of strike marks on the primer where the firing pin had hit it. I was also having an issue with the slide picking up and cambering the round when released so I stopped for the day, went home and gave the gun another field-strip, cleaning and lube.

Since then I when back to the range and tried again. I repeated the same process as before. The cambering/feed issue seems to have been resolved and I had no issue cambering rounds. I repeated the procedure indicated above except that after I ejected the first round I was able to chamber the next round in the mag and try again with the same result. I repeated this with a different magazine to the same effect. After clearing the weapon I examined the four rounds I had tried to fire, all four of these rounds were completely intact without a single mark on any of the primers.

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be wrong with the firing-pin and/or hammer of the pistol or what mistake I may have made while reassembling the pistol that would cause this issue?

If you need pictures of any parts let me know and I will try to photograph them for you.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

Re: M1911 not firing when the hammer drops.

#2 Post by Ghoulardi » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:31 pm

my advice, don't monkey with it, contact ATI tell them the problem you're having and tell them you're sending it back for warranty repair work. let them figure it out and fix it or send you a replacement pistol. you should not have to put your dime or time into a product that should work out of the box

I sent back a couple of firearms back that I bought because of issues. the most recent one was a few years back. it was a ARSENAL SLR106 UR, ran out of windage adjustment and it still wasn't hitting paper. sent it off to ARSENAL and got it back, it was hitting exactly what I was aiming at without having to touching the front sight.

problems crop up with anything mechanical, after all these were built by human beings, and we are not perfect or infallible.

anyway, that would be my advice, but you do what's best for you
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:16 am

I like the idea of sending it back for warranty work since it is new. :idea: :idea:

Check out a few simple things. The FIRST question is how far did you take down this new pistol? Maybe put back together wrong???? Did you just do a simple field take down for cleaning? OR.....
Did you remove the firing pin? Did you remove the hammer? If you push the firing pin in from the back can you push it forward through the hole into the chamber area? Can you see the pin push out? Check if pin is working: Is a piece of brass inside the firing pin chamber preventing the pin from moving its entire travel path?
Unload weapon.
Stick a pencil in the barrel, eraser end goes in first.
Point barrel slightly upwards.
Pull trigger. It should shoot up, keep your face away.
If not , remove & clean the firing pin and chamber. Look for a possible obstruction, Study how it is removed and put back in.

check this out. I guess the question is how far did you take down this new pistol? If you only field stripped for cleaning then I would have warranty work done on it so it is like new. Is this a factory new pistol, or used pistol?
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=416370

If the firing pin works OK , then look into the hammer. I assume it was not removed.
Did a small chunk of brass fall into the hammer area? Did you follow the normal cleaning procedures in the book of instructions?
Into a long read with trouble shootings see
http://www.klstottlemyer.com/ewExternal ... hausen.pdf

nice disassemble instructions http://how-i-did-it.org/detail-1911/frame_detail.html

Another stupid question, I assume you are using FACTORY ammo & not some reloads for the test??? USE FACTORY ammo FMJ brass case.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by RWS » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:49 am

There are a couple of simple tests that I would do before sending it back that might be worth trying. One would be to buy a box each of factory Federal and Speer ammo. Federal makes the softest primers on the market and CCI (Speer) makes the hardest ones. If it fires reliably with Federal primers but misfires with CCI primers then the mainspring would be suspect and worth trying a different one. Wilson mainsprings are about $3.

It doesn't matter whether you buy cheap Federal and Speer ammo or the expensive stuff; they all use the same primers. Federal Champion and Speer Lawman ammo are likely to be the cheapest you can buy (both use plated RN rather than FMJ bullets).

One other issue could be a firing pin that is a bit too short. If you have any friends with 1911 pistols you could try one of theirs or you could accurately measure your firing pin's overall length and report it and any one of us could compare the length of ours and report that back to you.

I'm not too familiar with ATI pistols. Do they incorporate the Series 80 modifications?

-Bob

KJakker
United States of America

#5 Post by KJakker » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:43 am

Okay, first some more info, I bought this pistol new in August so it should be under warranty. Second, I only field stripped it for cleaning, no farther. Third, I have been using factor FMJ ammo on all occasions. Forth, according to what I have read it has a “Series 70” arrangement.

Now it appears to be a firing pin or pin spring issue. The pencil trick did not work on the M1911. After reading the first thread 72 usmc posted I tried the technique described for checking the movement of the firing pin with one of my brass punches. It moved forward and stayed forward until I racked the slide a few times but produced no change in the pencil test. I did the punch check a second time during which I lubricated the firing pin after which I tried the pencil test again and it worked once then stopped again. Also for comparison sake I tried the pencil test on my M&P 9mm and it worked just fine in it.

Unless you guy have any other advice I think I am going to take it back to the shop within the week for them to check or send in for warranty work.

Return to “General Gunsmithing”