Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Rust Bluing Tips?

Ernest T
United States of America

Rust Bluing Tips?

#1 Post by Ernest T » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:38 pm

Looking to attempt my first rust bluing project on an old pistol using Pilkington solution. The pistol has no collector value, but was a hand-me-down from an uncle. The metal is in decent shape with some minor pitting and surface rust. Much of the old blue has worn off. Any tips for using this system appreciated.

Thanks

Hams03
United States of America

Re: Rust Bluing Tips?

#2 Post by Hams03 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:55 am

Be careful when filing/sanding, have a lot of patience, i did not use pilkingtons, i made my own solution and practiced on scrap,tools, and then a few old gun parts lying around. Apply solution very sparingly dont go over same spot do not rub. Apply in same direction every time. Do not be afraid of rust you just dont want pitting. Smooth velvety rust is what you want. When its orange or reddish boil in distilled water i let it boil 10- 20 mins. I used a number of things to card. A stainless steel wire toothbrush, 0000 steel wool, denim rags, and a jewelers wire wheel on my foredom tool. The wire wheel gave the best carding for a good shine. I just did my RIA 1911 pics posted in my been tinkering post under USpistols. Good luck Ernest T

Ernest T
United States of America

#3 Post by Ernest T » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:17 pm

Thanks for the help. Is it OK to just drop the parts into the boiling water, or do they need to be suspended so they don't touch the bottom of the pot?

Hams03
United States of America

#4 Post by Hams03 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:24 pm

Your welcome sir, I suspended the larger parts, the frame and slide, the smaller parts i used a steamer basket. Also the pot i boiled in and the basket are stainless steel. I am by no means an expert.

bobvz
United States of America

#5 Post by bobvz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:47 pm

Suspend the parts in a pot large enough so they don't touch water. Cover with aluminum foil. Use 2 pints tap water and steam for 10 minutes. Don't need to worry about water quality and much faster.

Bob
www.rustblue.com

Ernest T
United States of America

#6 Post by Ernest T » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:57 pm

Did the first round today. I got started late, so only had time to do one cycle. So far, so good. Thanks for the tips.

Return to “General Gunsmithing”