Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

GUNSMITHING

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

GUNSMITHING

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:06 pm

Hi - I realize that tips are often controversial, so this is not a tip, just another 'For-what's-it-worth'. I have the original, I think, of a copy of the NRA GUNSMITHING GUIDE, 1971, $4.50. I see where a new 'updated version is out', 1983, at different prices all the way up to $60 - wow. But, I also see where the free eBook versions are available, both the old and new editions. I know that these 'free' eBooks can be a pain sometimes. But I also saw where these books, as used, are for sale for as low as 7 something.
I think, I think, that if more would acquire and have handy and read either one, that there would be a lot, a whole lot, less questions and wrong information floating around on these forums. It is very easy to ask a question on a forum. But we have all heard the old saw, "That if an untruth is repeated often enough, it will become the truth'.
The old AMERICAN RIFLEMAN magazine use to have regular little articles called, "Here's how I did it", and, "Try it this way". It is less hard to argue with a "Here's how I did it", than other ways.
For an example, on pages 312-317 of the 1971 edition of the NRA GUNSMITHING book, there is an article, "The .45 Can be Accurate'...."A few alterations make a precision match pistol out of the Service .45". I did this to my $24 .45 after reading a similar article in an AMERICAN RIFLEMAN titled, "ACCURIZING your .45", or words to that effect. The article calls for some new parts - I didn't spend a cent on my version. For example, it calls for a new 'special' tight Barrel Bushing. I just had a friend build up the original with chrome plating and I burnished it out to fit. Now it may have been in that old AMERICAN RIFLEMAN magazine and it gave another accurizing idea for the .45, and it basically takes so many turns off of the main spring and reload with light bullets with either 2.5 or 3 grains of Bullseye, I forget. Boy, you can sure impress your friends with rapid fire with my 1913 made 1911 .45. If I can post a picture, I can show you what a 104 year old .45 can look like.
But the main thing I would like to point out is....one doesn't have to be afraid of working on a firearm 'themselves''. I see so often where some will advise against working on one's own firearm because, they think that it is unsafe....THEY THINK. If one would just do some of this type of work as directed in these types of books, they should feel more at ease doing it them selves.
I think a new forum 'Title' could be....."Here's how I Did it".
Anywho.....

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

Re: GUNSMITHING

#2 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:02 pm

C:\Users\Bob\Pictures\2017-11-05\DSC01063-001.JPG
Now MAYBE - JUST MAYBE, this may give an image of the picture of the old 1911 .45 that I bought for $24 in LA in 1956. That was the going price...for one or a hundred. And a Big Five store had those 20 mm Anti tank rifles for 19.95, with tripod. I thought that I might buy one later but never got around to it. The ammo was a dollar a round. Since I was there, I bought a .45 long colt revolver for $29.95 - brand new - still have that. And the going price for 1903's was 29.95...in the pawn shops, 19.95. I have seen where some of these .20 mm rifles are going for 3000 now. But I never had a reliable Crystal ball.

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#3 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:08 pm

Well I guess since my link doesn't show up in Blue, it won't work. I can't find on this forum any instructions for posting photos.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#4 Post by Tommy Atkins » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:18 pm

You can't post directly from your hard drive, sorry.
Go to "Full Editor"
type your post.
scroll down to OPTIONS/ATTACHMENTS.
click on "ADD FILES"
go to UPLOADS
find the file & drag it to the box.
click upload.

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#5 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:29 pm

Hi - I will try to post image of .45...I did the NRA accurizing. There are a dozen or so items mentioned but 90% of the accurizing can be done with just two corrections...build up the bushing and press in the sides of the slide. I did this in a vise doing a little at time until I got it where I wanted it. I actually had the bushing and the barrel plated. I guess one has their choice on this, and one can probable do their own plating cheaper than having it done in a 'shop'. By doing this yourself one can do a better job by plating, checking and burnishing as you like. The blurred looking finish is caused by the lighting. It just likes every loading that I have tried. As I said if you would like to acquire a separate main spring and shorten it, one can sure do some rapid fire. And of course one can do the weight adding thing to the front and eliminate the whole barrel rise.
DSC01063-001.JPG
DSC01063-001.JPG (9.27 KiB) Viewed 244 times

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#6 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:45 pm

I was just looking through the NRA GUNSMITHING book again and it has an empressive looking article on Accurizing the M1 written by a Nicholas Angelica, an employee of the engineering Dept. at Springfield Armory. And I had better say this quickly...He says that 'their' National Match M1's have had much work done to improve accuracy. And, "The following describes refinements which when correctly done, tend to improve accuracy". I haven't gotten around to trying this. If you don't have this book, I think that you will love it. I have a couple more NRA types on Pistol and Rifle smithing that are good also. The point being is that I don't think that one should be afraid to work on their own firearms. Now you should do it sensibly of course.

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#7 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:32 am

Tommy Atkins wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:18 pm
You can't post directly from your hard drive, sorry.
Go to "Full Editor"
type your post.
scroll down to OPTIONS/ATTACHMENTS.
click on "ADD FILES"
go to UPLOADS
find the file & drag it to the box.
click upload.
Yeah Tommy, it appears to work okay...thank you.

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

#8 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:15 pm

On the news there is of course noise about making 'Bump Stocks' illegal. That's one of the things that politicians do best. But years ago I read an article on how to convert some regular semi-automatics to that type of repeated firing. It was fairly simple...it was just to do the necessary sear work to make the trigger pull as light as needed and adjust one's finger pressure on the trigger to effect the repeated firing. But, if 'Bump Stocks' are outlawed, I think that quite possibly a more easier and cheaper method will involve. And that is a 'Bump Finger', where again the trigger pull is minimized and a heavier slip-on metal finger sleeve is used, such as a piece of cast iron water pipe, with the tip formed to fit the trigger conveniently. It is the nature of some people to act in such a panic manner and not foresee the possible consequences. I use to have a .30 cal M2 and a M3 .45. I was a noncombatant DOD contract civilian in Vietnam in 67-68 and they could not issue me any kind of firearm...but they could sell me one, or two, a coworker marine sold me these for two bottles of vodka each. The Vodka cost $1.25 a quart. At the time the marines were not allowed to buy hard liquor in the base package store. I know what it is like to have a VC shoot at me with an AK-47...and a US navy pilot with his A4, 20 mm cannon, by mistake. War stories, a bunch.
But, mark my word...Bump Fingers are in our future.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#9 Post by Tommy Atkins » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:00 pm

No problem, glad I was able to help

Return to “General Gunsmithing”