Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

The free/gift Jam-O-Matic .22.

Rex_in_OTZ
United States of America

The free/gift Jam-O-Matic .22.

#1 Post by Rex_in_OTZ » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:37 am

This tale of a free .22 a 1971 era Remington model 552 .22 S/L/LR and the long road to making it fire semi-automaticly or to even fire as a single shot!
I hope after reading this you will learn many things from my mistakes.
First off, I have no formal gunsmith training, so my novice mistakes will be obvious.
I reside in the Arctic North West Alaska.
Being a small place with limited resources, I do the best I can, thinking like a Doctor. 'First do no harm' both to me or the particular firearm Im tasked with making useable.

05-27-2016
I just got this older remington 552 speedmaster earlier today and its missing the rear sight, barrel stamped W 7
A Google check of Remington mfg letter stamps puts this as mfg July 1971?
The Numrich parts schematic only shows two rear sight types, neither of which look like what may have been on this particular rifle.
Now for tinker/gun speculator remove the rear sights before bringing it to me does not bode well for Rex (me).
The local gun tinker and speculator aquired it for a quick buck, But because it wouldnt feed nor fire, and the usual cleaning resulted in failure, he robbed the rear sights off it and gave me the rifle, from the looks of it, It had to been someones old broken Alaskan camp gun that got a face lift, stock looks like itd been sanded and finished and metal all looks like was spray painted (esp where the sight used to be) there is powder residue (soot) inside the spent case deflector so it must have developed a nasty feeding issue not long after its face lift?
Or before?????
Thinking this project turned into a "Can of Worms Project" for that gun speculator to take a loss on it and give it to me?
I love puzzles, years ago I was given a Remington Nylon 66 that was completely stripped down of every pin, screw and sping and in a cardboard box as loose parts, In the days before the internet, Id gotten it back together and functioning great.
So I have to figure out why it wont feed and locate a replacement sight. It looks allot like a sight off a Model 550-1,512 511 510 Remington, if I were to locate a sight for one of those it should fit.
Im thinking Remington made one kind of sight to use on different models of rifles.

05-29-2016
I just finished cleaning her out, the lube itd been lubed with mixed with spent powder residue and little glittering metallic crumbs that look allot like Remington Golden bullet plating.
Lots of crud on bolt and the ejector.
It function tested ok, rounds cycled from tube magazine through the action flawlessly by hand.
Attachments
20160526_173431.jpg
20160526_182810.jpg
20160526_183118.jpg
Last edited by Rex_in_OTZ on Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Rex_in_OTZ
United States of America

Re: The free/gift Jam-O-Matic .22.

#2 Post by Rex_in_OTZ » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:41 am

06-20-2016
Id been gone a week for work and finnaly had a chance to try out the old 552 Saturday afternoon.
That morning all the sight parts were in.
Who woudda thought a single sight screw was $6.90?? 
And Id had to buy two.

Well got it out to try it and found it had issues.
Chambering the first round went without a hitch.
Pulled the trigger and click, cleared the round and checked it (had a good firing pin dent) chambered the second round and it shot as it should, the third round was a dud (striker dented as well) funny how the particular federal rounds I had were not firing.
The 2 rounds out of 7 went off.
the rest was clearing duds from the action.
The last round wouldnt eject after it wouldnt go off.
I brought it home and managed to eject the dud without resorting to a cleaning rod.
All the while we were there, the mosquitos came out and chewed on us pretty good.
Next time I will bring a couple different brands of New ammo instead of a partial box of mixed rounds.

08-23-2017
Resurrection or more like continuation of 552 issue

Well Its now fall time here in Arctic coast Alaska, grass is turning its vivid fall colors, our coastal willows are turning gold, our summer only had one day it was in the 90's and for the rest of July and August it hardly went above 60°F, most of it cloudy and wet, various projects have kept me busy this summer, still many to finish before snow sets in (north slope had snow two weeks ago).
The Free Remington 552 is sitting there in the corner gathering dust and I know to fix its ailemnts its going to involve using my brain, I could learn the hard way and just buy parts till it works but my father always stressed trouble shooting before foolishy throwing money away.
So I did some googling of Remington 552 jam's and other cycling issues.
60% discussed bad ammunition.
In my case I had a mixture different ages of Federal bulk, CCI blazer and Remington Golden.
So was it ammunition? I have my doubts.
For it to choke on almost all of them I suspect its something with the rifle the ex-camp gun most likely had seen harsh environment but Im skeptical that its worn out, Id be surprised if it'd seen as much rounds through it as a run the mill 552 plinker that chewed thrugh several bricks would have , but what could its ailment be?
Burrs?
Quite a few posts on different forums about nicked up bolt guides , boogered firing pin's with burrs even on the on the hammer, some posts about wobbly hammer causing side binding, still others on dirty and worn sear notch fit, and then there was this odd post that seemed to jump out at me reguarding a misassembly that can cause all sorts of mayham.

Gun Hub forum post by nctorberson Feb 02, 2014· reply #4

Quote: 'disconnector is above the small lever that allows hammer to cock before the trigger resets. It must be below it'

http://gunhub.com/rimfire/58339-remingt ... ssues.html

That got my attention and now Im all fired up to tear that thing back open to check it again, according to gun hub there was a posted photo but that is only viewable to Gun Hub members.
It'd cool to see that photo, but I think I will just forge ahead with that scant advice and check it out for myself.

Rex just may have to take another look at that disconnector. 
Attachments
75959-4b14368eb6dc0ef2cf989585b6cc24db-1.jpg
75959-4b14368eb6dc0ef2cf989585b6cc24db-1.jpg (23.83 KiB) Viewed 380 times
Last edited by Rex_in_OTZ on Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex_in_OTZ
United States of America

#3 Post by Rex_in_OTZ » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:45 am

09-26-2017
Well I opened it back up and did find some minor burrs on the bolt guide thatd been there a long time, I lightly touched them up using some swiss files I have, there is a faint firing pin booger on the chamber rim as well (the cause of sticking cartridges) of which I will eventually have to burnish out☆. and the disconnector arm was above the lever like posted in the Gun Hub posting, So far I hadnt had a chance to take it outta town to try it yet.

11-04-2017
Well I had it appart again, all that nifty stuff didnt really help.
Looking at the trigger group Id noticed it was really clean for such a old rifle, before Id gotten it, someone must have gave it a detailed cleaning? (Assumption)
I had the trigger assy in my hand, and running my thumb over the various parts and Im studying it and It finally dawned on me.
The end of the disconnector was missing!  :shock:
It was broke off clean as a whistle right where its stamped, running my hand over it I never knew it till I looked closer at some on-line images. 
 Man that was a downer Id missed something soo obvious.
11-11-2017
Well last night I dropped out the trigger group and using some tools was able to drive out the stepped diameter pin that secures the disconnector in place, funny thing is that pin is staked in place and I used a punch to drive the staked part past the steel washer used as an anvil to stake the pin end against as the trigger housing is aluminum.
Since the old disconnector was also below the sear, I made sure to also place the new one below the sear as well.

'Quote: 'disconnector is above the small lever that allows hammer to cock before the trigger resets. It must be below it'
http://gunhub.com/rimfire/58339-remingt ... ssues.html'

Since today is pretty stormy so will put off shooting till the weather clears up.
Attachments
20190330_192306.jpg
20190330_192306.jpg (14.42 KiB) Viewed 376 times
20190330_192243.jpg
20190330_192243.jpg (12.57 KiB) Viewed 376 times
20190330_192138.jpg
20190330_192138.jpg (7.96 KiB) Viewed 378 times
20190330_192158.jpg
20190330_192158.jpg (4.85 KiB) Viewed 378 times
20190330_192337.jpg
20190330_192337.jpg (11.17 KiB) Viewed 378 times
Last edited by Rex_in_OTZ on Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex_in_OTZ
United States of America

#4 Post by Rex_in_OTZ » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:56 am

04-25-2018
Well living in town can be a real drag, if you want to test your .22 you cant just step out the door and fire a few rounds to check function.
I brought it out 3 days ago, loaded ten rounds and cycled the first round, which jammed, the second as jammed well, the third chambered and failed to fire (very shallow firing pin ding)
As I cleared the rounds Id save them for reloading, loading jamms was quite common.
I did get it to fire, then it would fire another round that cycled into the chamber normally. 
3 times the bolt did not fully come back enough to cock the hammer (lots of drag and burrs) after firing.
After I got home Id let it set for a bit before starting in on it.
I found the ejector was dragging on the bolt pretty bad, the fireing pin movement seemed to not be too responsive so removed the fireing pin retainer pin removed FP and used a copper wire probe to clean out the ejector mortice on the bolt body, and along the firing pin slot on the bolt body.
I noticed a ring of compacted carbon on the bolt body face where it impacts the back side of the barrel.
With q-tip and tooth pick in hand I went about scraping out any collected carbon snot built up in the back end of the barrel.
I also noticed the stubby mushroom headed plunger thats on the extractor arm spring peeks into one the grooves for the Ejector and drags (impinges on) the Ejector as it cycles past during firing. I used a swiss to lower the bump some.
WOW! I never realized just all those machined dips and worls that Remington had machined in the barrel extension with a ball shaped mill bit!
This looked like a dremel tool had run rampant, but all is part in guiding a round into the chamber.
Long story short, I stoned the sides of the fireing pin, removed the burrs from hammer hits, cleaned off the sharp corners on the ejector that had been dragging and cleaned up the cuts in the bolt the ejector rides in, and even stone some tool mark's down on the nose of the hammer so it would re-set easier.
Attachments
20190331_070629.jpg
87762-456044f549b60fa55ea8031b3cba8195.jpg
87762-456044f549b60fa55ea8031b3cba8195.jpg (12.99 KiB) Viewed 374 times
87764-c6b58dc74fb9ad3388e0b1df7a5f28b2.jpg
87764-c6b58dc74fb9ad3388e0b1df7a5f28b2.jpg (4.88 KiB) Viewed 374 times
87766-b2aba188f18cff383dd3bc9e1fe1b3a2.jpg
87766-b2aba188f18cff383dd3bc9e1fe1b3a2.jpg (14.57 KiB) Viewed 374 times
87768-85cc27fd02f006eb3c817a167469882e.jpg
87768-85cc27fd02f006eb3c817a167469882e.jpg (18.43 KiB) Viewed 374 times
Last edited by Rex_in_OTZ on Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex_in_OTZ
United States of America

#5 Post by Rex_in_OTZ » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:11 am

06-22-2018
Well I had a chance to take it out last Sunday.
Id spent some time, stoning off burrs on the bolt and ejector, I used some metal polish on the bolt and ejector and cycled the it till my aluminum dummy rounds, fed through without a hitch
Id brought along a brand new box of federal .22 Lr std velocity rounds.
I shook out 10 rounds from the box and stoked the tube magazine.
On cycling, I drew back the bolt handle and let fly the first round, it jambed on chambering.
Unfortunately I didnt have my camera to show the way it jamed.
The case rim had not fit up on the bolt face and it sortta stalled out with bullet nose low, bit Not tipped down at a sharp angle, and the case rim fed about 3/4 the way up into where it should sit on the bolt face, and resulting low rideing cartridge is what got caught up.
Im guessing I need to clean the, gummy boogers inside the inner magazine tube may possibly be part of it, the cartridge lifter spring feels stiff, BUT is it really stiff enuf to work smoothly?

Loading jams happened 6 times out of the 10 rounds loaded.
Then after some light firing pin strikes, I reloaded the six that didnt, feed, jamed or failed to fire.
Of those only one didnt cycle through and fire (had 5 consecutive rounds load, fire, eject as it should)
Im pulling the trigger/lifter for another bout of studying.
Those dummy rounds are pretty sweet for function testing the cartridge feed system.

06-24-2018
Well opened it tonight and gave it another looking over.
Could it be that 47 year old magazine spring?
For now I will run a cleaning rod with a patch down the inner magazine tube.
If im feeling my oats I'll remove the mag tube cap pin and give that old spring a tensil stretching to boost the rounds going to the lifter.
I removed the trigger group and left the bolt assy in place, I cycled the bolt which seemd to drag a little, what could cause this resistance?
What drags when moving the bolt by hand might really be a problem when the bolt is traveling in recoil during the firing cycle.
Looking over the trigger.
I found a pretty sharp wire bur on the edge of the lifter arm made during the shearing process while making the part, taking my knife wet stone I rounded off that sharp shear edge.
Also looked over the part of the artridge lifter that glides against the bolt.
Stoned off the sharp stamp/shear edge of the lifter and hammer that ride against the back face and underneath the bolt.

The bolt assy had 3 things going on that needed checking.
The slot on the bolt that the lifter rides on, the Back side the bolt that rides along pushing down the hammer to cock.
The left side of the bolt slots that the ejector rides in that had been debured had a portion of a pin sticking out (extractor spring guide pin) in the bottom of the ejector grooves that I could catch my swiss file on, that drag would slow down cycling and could create loading jams, especially while the recoiling bolt is sliding back, the blunt edge of the ejector edge was catching a good bit on the protruding pin so ran the swiss file over that portion of protruding pin (extractor spring guide pin) sticking out in the ejector way..
I stoned off the sharp edges on the cartridge lifter arm nose and along the top edge and the ejector groove, even the hammer where if "Side Loaded" sharp edge "Could" possibly contact the side the bolt face, a few strokes of emery cloth in the back end the bolt in the milled slot that pushes the lifter and hammer down got a little shineing, not mirror polish, just knocking off the tops the milling marks.
Also noted some wierd boogerd up area on the bottom of the bolt that came from the factory (done before hardening) so rubbed it a few times on my knife sharpening stone to see if I could even it up some and cut down any drag when the bolt cycles that bolt hard under recoil.
Only firing the rifle will I be able to tell If any of this slicking the sharp corners made much impact.
Before Id taken this 552 out last time, I used my brand new A-Zoom action proving rimfire dummy rounds to work through the action (flawless)
So I hope I fixed that rimfire choking on rounds jamming as they load up in front of the bolt face.
Attachments
20190331_071604.jpg
Last edited by Rex_in_OTZ on Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex_in_OTZ
United States of America

#6 Post by Rex_in_OTZ » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:19 am

11-06-2018
Well It took a while, but Im happy I did budget in a couple new springs for the 552 project.
The bolt return spring was a surprise!
The new spring was 1.5-2" shorter than the old spring!?
Ok That was strange but makes sense, the fellow that had this .22 refinished it and then tried to make it work.
He must have streched the bolt return spring thinking it had weakened when the nose was busted off the disconnector and causing troubles.
And if that old camp gun ever sat for any great length of time sitting with a few rounds in the magazine tube that magazine spring might have taken a set over all those years and not push the round into the lifter like it should, causing my empty chamber problem.
That and a over powered bolt spring might mess with cartridge feeding

11-08-2018
Fresh out of the package I had a tangled puzzle, untangling the new mag spring.
Well I finally found my small pin punch and started in on drifting out the magazine tube cap pin.
When the old magazine spring was finally out on the bench, I set the new spring along side the old one to check mag spring lengths.
The new spring was more than a tad bit longer almost 14" longer.
Stuffing all that New mag spring back in the magazine was a challange, till I figured how to capture the few coils I could stuff in each time.
Like stuffing 7 pounds of crap into a 4 pound container.
Attachments
20181107_164842.jpg
20181107_164500.jpg
Last edited by Rex_in_OTZ on Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex_in_OTZ
United States of America

#7 Post by Rex_in_OTZ » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:24 am

03-08-2019
Well It has been quite a winter.
In six weeks we had 17 blizzards.
I thought Id hop on my snowmobile and motor out a town to function test the 552.
After a couple detours and finding a out the way place to test the rifle.
I stoked it up with some CCI Blazers.
I Topped up the tube magazine and cycled the action chambering a round.
It fired as it should, the next trigger pull was a metallic click.
I cycled the action thinking it had not chambered a round and had a jam as the live round remained in the chamber and the bolt fed the next round double sracking (caused by bolt manipulation) up caused some troubles.
(Extractor issue?)
The dud round at times wouldnt exteact.
Shook out the jams and chambered the next round, which fired, the next a light strike and another double feed jam, chambering another it didnt fire either!
The dud rounds were not extracting and the next was plugging the works, except they were good rounds just not getting struck as it should.
I did get it to fire 2 shots consecutively as a semi-auto then it went back sometimes firing and jambing.
I figured I had enough information to work with and picked up the fired rounds and struck rounds for further study at home (was getting dark and was 18°F)
All the while my daughter was shooting cartridges from the same box in her Keystone Arms Crickett rifle without any problems (so not a cartridge failure).

I took photos of the firing pin struck cartridges and the fired cases that ejected just fine.

First I think I will try getting it to fire every time a round is chambered.
The fired rounds eject fine, its problematic getting it to eject live rounds that didnt fire.

I dissembled the 552 and looked over the bolt, then removed the firing pin and noticed it had a wierd reverse bow to it Id noticed before.
After a google image search of the Remington 552 firing pins I see that it was slightly bent (sorry no photo* forgot)
Placed the firing pin on a straight edge Yes the pin was really bent! (How was it bent?)
Using a axe head as a flat metal anvil and my small ballpeen hammer, I managed to get the firing pin to look like the Google image after a few taps (FP Earmarked for replacement)
Thinking how the bow on the fireing pin changed how the pin impact away from the outer case rim, strikeing the case further away from the rim and its priming compound.
Using the ballpeen hammer to dress up the fireing pin tip a little by draw it out some lengthing it a tad.
Then used the honeing stone to slick the sides a bit, and dress the tip just a bit.
Reassembled the .22 and drew back the bolt, it appeared the bolt didnt retract fully.
I had not tried to dry fire because my adjustments to the bent firing pin might have well put it out of specification, creating further problems like peening the chamber rim.
Dissembled and looked at the bolt buffer, the observing metal insert was peened and had burrs(sorry no photos)
I used a knife hone and using the coarse side stoned even the surface the bolt impacts, then woked off the sharp burrs.

Funny how Id assumed that wierd sprue like bend was normal, assuming it was supposed to be that way.
I would never have imagined a stout looking .22 fireing pin would be bent.
Attachments
20190308_085035.jpg
20190308_085614.jpg
Last edited by Rex_in_OTZ on Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex_in_OTZ
United States of America

#8 Post by Rex_in_OTZ » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:35 am

Forum poster Mr C, post: 1794024 about the Remington 552 having a dirty Floating Chamber had me wondering what is that?
So after looking at a several on-line gun part sights and pageing through a couple of very old Great Western and Numrich gun part catalogs, I was unable to locate the floating chamber mentioned in the Mr C's post.
Was it used on a older model not in the parts catalogs.
Actually the parts diagram spells it out in black and white.
Remington 550 and 550-1 .22 autoloading rifles used a variation to enable a .22 short to make a .22 long rifle strength recoil spring compress enough to operate with shorts. The floating chamber incorporates a seperate inner/back part of the chamber. There is a slight gap/ring in the .22 long rifle length chamber that is located right at the case mouth of a .22 short cartridge. A bit of the short's gas bleeds off into this ring and this acts on the sliding rear portion of the chamber to increase the blow back force on the bolt face. Thus the weaker cartridge can still propel the bolt back with enough force to compress the heavy recoil spring. They do get dirty though and cause malfunctions if allowed to stay that way.

The most popular method is to simply install a recoil spring light enough to operate with .22 shorts. The .22 long rifles and longs will actually "over" operate the spring. Some manufactures incorporated rubber or plastic buffers at the back of the receiver to help absorb this force from the longer/more powerfull rounds. The modern Remington 552 uses such a buffer. 

Mr C was Correct that Remington did produce a floating chamber semiautomatic .22 rifle.
BUT It does not apply to the Model 552 I'm working on.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rimfir ... 6081&amp=1

When you consider using a lighter weight recoil spring and a easily installed hard rubber buffer instead of machining a floating chamber insert.
The cheaper alternative seems Remingtons viable cost cutting method to a semiauto that is capable of reliably cycling .22 shorts.
Attachments
110128-bf88a5c546b61f406a03dcdcdfbf8313.jpg
110128-bf88a5c546b61f406a03dcdcdfbf8313.jpg (21.55 KiB) Viewed 360 times
110130-7e79f63bbff7348ac85bc4a55e3aa820.jpg
110130-7e79f63bbff7348ac85bc4a55e3aa820.jpg (3.62 KiB) Viewed 360 times
110126-674189828189404c49cf22c7a4596004.jpg
110126-674189828189404c49cf22c7a4596004.jpg (32.04 KiB) Viewed 360 times
110124-9ccee425596797b8faa271cd1c6be2d6.jpg
110124-9ccee425596797b8faa271cd1c6be2d6.jpg (4.22 KiB) Viewed 360 times

Rex_in_OTZ
United States of America

#9 Post by Rex_in_OTZ » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:38 am

03-11-2019
I brought it out last night to try it out after using a hammer to straighten the bent firing pin.
I encounterd some solif jams when attempting to load from the magazine.
From what I could see of the cartridge was the cartridge was hanging up and wouldnt rise fully to engage the bolt face!
Yet drop chambering loose round and closeing the bolt It did fire.
Once back I pulled it appart.
What I found was the hammering it straight also made the firing pin longer, enough so that as yhe bolt was chambering the round the bit of firing pin sticking out was preventing the cartridge from fully aligning to chamber and was jamming.
So it was a stupid mistake Id made messing with straightening the firing pin, if I had messed with it, I should have checked to make sure it retracts fully and does not over travel.
Well I did stone it down a bit and here is what the firing pin now looks like when it stamps the cartridge case.
I think I see a new 552 firing in my very near future.

Im usually one for thrift and doing things myself, but when it comes to a firing pin for a old .22
Im thinking a nice fat brand new factory firing pin should fit better than this old beat one.

☆If it bent once before It should be easier to bend in the future?☆

Right afterwards I used the aluminum dummy rounds to test it out.
The rounds fed through flawlessly when working the bolt handle.
Attachments
110034-3d1ec7b65e478e1baeed63e86c8ee5c2.jpg
110034-3d1ec7b65e478e1baeed63e86c8ee5c2.jpg (11.1 KiB) Viewed 358 times
Last edited by Rex_in_OTZ on Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex_in_OTZ
United States of America

#10 Post by Rex_in_OTZ » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:40 am

03-18-2019
Last night after supper I went for my walk and Toted the 552 along for another test.
Loaded it up with 2 rows of CCI Blazers (10 rounds) and the first round fired, the second the hammer dropped but I didnt fire, in order to re-cock the first round didnt come out with the extractor and on letting the bolt forward it picked up a fresh round (double feed jam) I managed to shake it out and let the bolt close on the round that didnt extract, it fired and the next round failed to fire when the hammer dropped, only three rounds from the first magazine full actually fired with a single blow.
The rest took a couple hits to fire.
I did get three rounds to fire consecutively.
I was able to extract 3 rounds that were struck but didnt fire.
I pocketed them for later study.
Afterwards I picked up all the spent casings for study.
Once back home I studied the three that didnt fire and they had very light firing pin strikes.
Im thinking its time to replace the hammer spring for sure, the firing pin as well.
I pulled down the rifle to study the hammer and the bolt assy.
I placed a live round on the bolt face to check the extractor engagement, it seems the extractor claw barely fits around the case rim of the CCI Blazer rounds I have (seems they really fill the bolt and extractor space)
I then removed the ejector and dropped a live round in the chamber to check the bolt extractor fitment.
So today I went on Numrich and orderd a different (used) hammer spring and new firing pin (new) and also a extractor claw.
Attachments
110760-f9796c3f669031e583ab322af8ddaa4d-1.jpg
110760-f9796c3f669031e583ab322af8ddaa4d-1.jpg (28.12 KiB) Viewed 356 times
110758-b5951ba9691dbc8aee37f65aa6d8c002-1.jpg
110758-b5951ba9691dbc8aee37f65aa6d8c002-1.jpg (27.06 KiB) Viewed 356 times
110756-985a9b0d623c35e35a1522c38ca7ba35-1.jpg
110756-985a9b0d623c35e35a1522c38ca7ba35-1.jpg (18.47 KiB) Viewed 356 times
110754-302fad08a7f0a0a2f6c7ec87616ba40a-1.jpg
110754-302fad08a7f0a0a2f6c7ec87616ba40a-1.jpg (17.61 KiB) Viewed 356 times
110752-a4866103397b12e33b4b431f479f1bbe-1.jpg
110752-a4866103397b12e33b4b431f479f1bbe-1.jpg (23.96 KiB) Viewed 356 times
Last edited by Rex_in_OTZ on Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex_in_OTZ
United States of America

#11 Post by Rex_in_OTZ » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:44 am

03-30-2019
I hauled her out last weekend.
It fired initally and then just started to lightly tap the firing pin just enough to Not set off the primer compound.
Just as annoying was its inability to extract the duds which resulted in double feed jam after jam.
It was so frustrating, it was approx 28°F
The wind was picking up and Id walked about 1.3 mile on a icy road to get to a decent place to fire my weapon.
Now I had this stuck dud that wouldnt extract from the chamber (claw kept slipping off)
Using my pocket knife's flat screwdriver & awl blades I was able to remove the barrel and drift out the trigger group
On removing the barrel and bolt assy from it I inverted the barrel and that stinkin dud simply fell out the chamber! After repeated attempts at extracting it, just to see it fall from the chamber by gravity! :think:
Dry firing in the past had messed with demensions of the firing pin and Boogering the chamber to stick fired cases, possible that was how that wierd bend resulted from excessive dry firing
I'm thinking I Need snap caps for my old .22 rimfires.
I am happy Id ordered those blue alum dummy rounds to be able to check functioning in the house.

https://youtu.be/VSF2SyxIP6Q

https://youtu.be/PizkX3uY6hU
03-30-2019
10AM

This morning I removed that troublesome trigger group after gathering tools needed to drift out the riveted Hammer/Disconnector pin.
After removing it I was able to removed the hammer and hammer spring and plunger.

One thing Noted on removal, the plunger was almost unremoveable by fingers pressure I was able to pluck it out with considerable force exerted, stuck with a varnish like old lube (at room temprature!!) If the hammer spring and plunger were this sticky at room temp's, what excessive resistance to a hammer fall would it have at tempratures below 30°F?
Now was the time to replace the hammer spring I'd just bought from Numrich (used) now when replacing springs I love comparing Old and New spring lengths.
The Numrich used spring was shorter than the one removed from the 1971 era 552.
So figuring a shorter compression spring would most likely have a weaker hammer blow.
So after using solvent to remove the sticky gum and grime I reinstalled the original and staked the hammer/disconnector

pin back in place.
Now to se
e about what that pesky extractor claw . . . .
Attachments
download.jpeg-1.jpg
download.jpeg-1.jpg (13.42 KiB) Viewed 241 times
images.jpeg-14.jpg
images.jpeg-14.jpg (13.7 KiB) Viewed 241 times
20190330_100801.jpg
20190330_100932.jpg
20190330_100849.jpg
Last edited by Rex_in_OTZ on Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rex_in_OTZ
United States of America

#12 Post by Rex_in_OTZ » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:58 am

This facet of some my possible problems came to light on a gunsmiting forum.

For all I went through, I thought to pass along my findings. There were many things I went through and wierd encounters. I never thought about the primer mixture fracturing. And who would have thought the Fireing pin would have been bent. There were two or three times I felt like pitching that .22 into the willows or snow drift. But I love puzzles. I just Had to know why it was doing what It was. Varnish like lube. Tired springs. Bent firing pin Broken disconnector. Worn extractor claw. Boogered up chamber sticking cases. Buffer peened badly. And Flakey ammo.

Quote: BobM1919
1 day ago · post #9

''An interesting narrative on the trials and tribulations of bringing an old rifle back to life. Compounded by the low temps you must deal with.
It's those very same tempetures that might be causing the failure to fire. Pull one of the misfired rounds apart, dump the powder on a clean sheet of paper. Inspect the powder, looking for green or yellow specks or chunks mixed in. This is the primingcompound, it shatters rather than lights under the blow of the FP. Inspect the case, sometimes all of the priming is gone, sometimes there is a bit left. I've seen this with almost all brands of ammo, if it is cold enough, but it seems to happen with Federal brand the most often'.

https://forums.gunboards.com/#/topics/1081375?page=1

https://youtu.be/bd9WaUEeJTA
Thats some food for thought!

In the handlebar bag on my snowmobile were a couple boxes of .22 thatd been rattling around in the cold with my spare spark plugs.
I will have to check them out later.
Last edited by Rex_in_OTZ on Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

vandle
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
Australia

#13 Post by vandle » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:24 am

Thanks For sharing your "adventure". I found it interesting
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

Mashuga
United States of America

#14 Post by Mashuga » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:33 am

Yep, it has been an enjoyable read. A man on a mission.

Rex_in_OTZ
United States of America

#15 Post by Rex_in_OTZ » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:17 pm

Well the new 552 Hammer spring arrived from Brownells on Saturday, last night I got the old and new next to each other.
Back to Back they Look the same length.
I wish I knew their compression weights.
Attachments
20190421_205534.jpg
20190422_073645.jpg

Return to “Gunsmithing”