Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Is it worth it?

Kbaumgartner
United States of America

Is it worth it?

#1 Post by Kbaumgartner » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:46 pm

Hi all I am wanting some opinions on if the curio and relic license is worth it. I haven't been collecting long but do have a few rifles but so far all mine have been local findings. I do not buy that often but was wondering if the license is worth getting.

VMASCIOP2000
United States of America

Re: Is it worth it?

#2 Post by VMASCIOP2000 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:17 am

Welcome Kyle. I feel most, here, would say yes. Let me take the other side for a minute and say that if I was in Ohio I could find more treasures "face to face" then I could hope to afford. Are you close to Oxford? Family Firearms and Finishes is there. Huge and frequent gun shows and many gun shops. Plus the hunt is half the fun. Hands on inspection so fewer "surprises".
I was R.L.E.V.M. on our old forum.

Kbaumgartner
United States of America

#3 Post by Kbaumgartner » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:58 am

Yes I am very close to Oxford and Family Firearms and thanks for the input!

davew
United States of America

#4 Post by davew » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:29 pm

You will pay for the license the first gun you buy that needs to go through an instant check.

VMASCIOP2000
United States of America

#5 Post by VMASCIOP2000 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:40 am

I forgot to consider that some states charge for instant checks. Minnesota is free for all checks. Not sure about Ohio.
I was R.L.E.V.M. on our old forum.

OldGrouchyGuy
United States of America

#6 Post by OldGrouchyGuy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:38 pm

Kbaumgartner wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:46 pm
Hi all I am wanting some opinions on if the curio and relic license is worth it. I haven't been collecting long but do have a few rifles but so far all mine have been local findings. I do not buy that often but was wondering if the license is worth getting.
I do FTF when I can but got my C&R to save money. heh. But the ease of buying old firearms and having them shipped to my door actually cost me money. I used to eat steak. Now I subsist on ramen noodles so I can get that extra rifle.

Turn back now while you still can lest ye descend into the Dante's inferno of C&R.

If you decide not to heed my advice , heres a link to some Ramen noodles coupons. http://forthemommas.com/coupons/mail-fo ... a-products :lol:
NRA Lifetime member, CHL, C&R - Known to be extremely Grouchy and may be armed. Do not attempt to apprehend and instead notify local authorities.

Herr Mario
United States of America

#7 Post by Herr Mario » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:01 pm

...yes....I've had a C&R since 2000 and it has saved me lots of $$$ and hassles...well worth the meager $30......and will likely come in handy again for me during the next year a I will sadly have to downsize some of my collection... :cry:

72 usmc
United States of America

#8 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:39 pm

The Second Golden Age of cheep surplus rifles that was plentiful and easy to order from many mail order surplus dealers like SOG, Century, Aim, and the others that no longer exist is over. Order by mail was always a roll of the dice, Todd was the only one that I could trust and I always got a better than described rifle, the others were a crap shoot and generally you got the bottom of the barrel specimens. So you really had to see a rifle in person to know what you are getting and be able to gauge and inspect the rifle. So a C&R is not that useful if you buy private sales, trade, or purchase at gun shows. Some places, stores do not even recognize it and you have to go through the background search anyway. So it's not worth the recording effort. It's not a big expense, but I never saw the need to have one. My FFL only charged $10 when I was building a collection. Now, some charge as much as $80 for a transfer. So if you are getting things sent to you it can save the FFL transfer headache, but then you got the recording and disposition headache of the C&R book. For me it never did much because I only buy what I can see in person, inspect, and gauge. I got screwed three times by Century and SOG--that was the end of mail purchase dogs advertised as "select". Gone are the days when you could see 25 Turk Mausers or 30 Mosins at $79-$109 at a Fleet and Farm stores or Dunhams- both of which did not recognize a C&R. You still did a free background check prior to the sale. So do you like to gamble on guns through the mail, :snooty: :snooty: :think: :think: :doh: then get one.

Go to small gun shows when the wife or friend sells off the old guys collection for what was paid or at a greatly reduced prices. Some offer such a low ball price I just give my shooters to friends rather than sell. Some of the safe Queens will go to the local museum. We all come to an end and have to dispose of our relics and goodies. A few bypasses and strokes and the goodies come out of the wood work. That is the time to buy at a show when the old guy has to sell if he's still alive or for those that waited too long that's when the wife wants to dump the collection at one show. She has no use for the stuff and its time to clear out the dead guys stuff. Her idea of fun is not sitting at a gun show. Be fair, honest with your prices and most will get a phone number and you get to come over and pick the real goodies at the house. Like bayonets, holsters, and stored ammo. That's the show you want to stumble onto, meet the seller, and buy stuff that has been hidden since the 1950s or 1960s.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Kbaumgartner
United States of America

#9 Post by Kbaumgartner » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:14 am

I prefer to buy local just so I can inspect the gun and sometimes you can get a better price from a local sale and my uncle is friends with a guy who is a ::) and only charges $15. I think I'm just gonna not get one. I probably won't be buying much givin I just bought my first house. Hopefully I can squeeze a few in. Now just need to find a gun show like 72 usmc said. Haven't seen anything like that near me yet. But will keep my eye out. The gun show I do go to us where Family Firearms sets up at though so that's a plus for me with them being local.

Mid.
United States of America

#10 Post by Mid. » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:33 pm

Definitely worth getting the C&R! I don't know what FFLs are like in your area but one transaction will cover your costs - at least in my AO.

Ricekila
United States of America

#11 Post by Ricekila » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:23 am

Worth it --- I'd say yarp --

Last January I received mine -- I sent out copy's to all the vendors I buy from -- So far if I add up all the small discounts I gots -- it paid for itself already --- when I find a long gun I want on line --

A - it saves me a trip to my local gun shop and their $30. FFL fee -- :clap:

B -- even number Friday -- :dance:

Return to “C&R License Related Info”