Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Trump Moves to Ban Bump Stocks

Info on Second Amendment happenings that impact you!
wjh
United States of America

Trump Moves to Ban Bump Stocks

#1 Post by wjh » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:15 pm

Yep, Trump caved to the anti-gunners. Rather than change the federal law that defines a machine gun, they are just going to change the regulations. It avoids a vote because they are all cowards to actually vote to redefine a machine gun. This opens the door to ban any devices that make a gun fire faster. It could apply to triggers, recoil springs, etc. What a joke. I thought Trump was against legislating through rulemaking? I guess that just applies to certain special things. It makes me wonder what is next on the list. :think:

Polock
United States of America

Re: Trump Moves to Ban Bump Stocks

#2 Post by Polock » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:45 am

I hate to see this, also. Another "feel-good" idea that will actually have no positive impact on the crazies that commit such crimes as mass killings.
Every time we (law-abiding gun owners) compromise, we lose something, and the "anti freedom/anti-gun" people gain--

I for one wonder why mass shootings have become all too commonplace, even tho it is much harder to obtain firearms than it was years ago--
Can't blame it on MSR, as we have had semi-auto firearms for over 100 years--
"I have never seen a situation so desperate that the arrival of a policeman did not make worse"
Brendan Behan, Irish poet

gabe
United States of America

#3 Post by gabe » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:26 pm

It really does suck to see this, but I'm not really that surprised it's being brought up. All a ban like this would do is make people angry. The left is going to say it's too little and the right is going to say it's too much. I wish people would understand that you can't legislate crazy.

DaleH
United States of America

#4 Post by DaleH » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:18 pm

gabe wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:26 pm
I wish people would understand that you can't legislate crazy.
True, and I hear you on all points, but IMHO that is not the arguement that we - shooters & sportsmen - are now facing in this current debate.

As I hear my co-workers and/or friends (who may or may not be firearms enthusiasts or owners) discussing these current issues ... they ask this: “Is there a legitimate sporting need for that product?” Therefore I predict that unfortunately others will ultimately decide that for us.

Now I’m for ARs, but I gotta admit, when my Dad (now passed) saw those 75+ round drum/beta mags for sale ... he looked at me and said “You know kid ... these are gonna cause us some problems down the line in the future ... and then they’ll come down hard on you ... ”

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#5 Post by Hippycrowe » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:23 pm

It will go to court and and there is a possibility that the court will say the ATF can not ban them becuase it takes a law becuase the ATF already said they can not ban some thing you put on a rifle like a M 4 stock or a scope or laser. ATF can't ban High cap magazines without Congress but with today's Judge's you never know.

I think its just to make it look like they are doing some thing. I couldn't afford to shoot a rifle with a bump stock lol

Ozzman
United States of America

#6 Post by Ozzman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:25 pm

Well.. here is my take.
I did not like his general statement to "ban ALL devices that turn legal weapons into machine guns". A bump stock only allows the shooter to shoot the firearm faster with still one trigger pull at a time. It does not change it to full auto, and it does not improve accuracy..

So technically, anything that allows you to shoot faster "could" be banned?? Polishing a trigger surface, an updated trigger group/assembly, reduced recoil springs, etc. Basically any trigger mod could render a firearm illegal?
This opens the door to stupid laws and pretty much leaves it wide open..

He apparently caught something there at the WH, because like his predecessor he now believes he can make and enact unconstitutional laws on a whim.. He sounded like a Dictator yesterday. How sad.
What is the definition of PROCRASTINATION?
"I'll tell you tomorrow"

m47dragon
United States of America

#7 Post by m47dragon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:09 pm

Maybe he knows it will be challenged in court but he can rightfully fall back on, "We looked into it but this takes an act of Congress." He loses nothing that way and forces Congress to act or not.

Hammy
United States of America

#8 Post by Hammy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:50 pm

Did I miss a story somewhere? I didn't know a slide-fire stock was used in Florida? Or is this just a continuation from Vegas?
U.S. Marine Corps 1975-1979
Combat Engineer

wjh
United States of America

#9 Post by wjh » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:50 am

It is just the Vegas shooting. I wonder if they will go after optics next.

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#10 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:43 pm

Ozzman wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:25 pm
Well.. here is my take.
I did not like his general statement to "ban ALL devices that turn legal weapons into machine guns". A bump stock only allows the shooter to shoot the firearm faster with still one trigger pull at a time. It does not change it to full auto, and it does not improve accuracy..

So technically, anything that allows you to shoot faster "could" be banned?? Polishing a trigger surface, an updated trigger group/assembly, reduced recoil springs, etc. Basically any trigger mod could render a firearm illegal?
This opens the door to stupid laws and pretty much leaves it wide open..

He apparently caught something there at the WH, because like his predecessor he now believes he can make and enact unconstitutional laws on a whim.. He sounded like a Dictator yesterday. How sad.
Don't forget porting of handguns to keep them on target.

Return to “Second Amendment Front”