http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:47 am 

My neighbor Mike told me he had been looking to buy a M1 Rifle for the last 50 years. His Dad was a WWII Vet and would not allow him to own anything Army surplus when he was a kid. Life went on and he raised a family and retired in NM.
He asked me to help him find a "nice" M1 rifle which I did.
He had no idea how to do anything with the rifle. I took Mike to my club's range and we gave him a crash course in how to field strip his rifle.
I showed him how to load the clip and how not to get his thumb crushed by the bolt.
I noticed that his rear sight was not zeroed so we set up a target at 200 yards,an AR500 24x24" plate. Mike grew up in Maine and knew the basics of shooting. He had no problem hitting the target after we found the rifles zero at our altitude. Mike proceeded to fire a couple of clips into this target and was able to hold MOA groups. He was shooting donated M2 Ball ammo from the 50's.(FN)
I asked him if he wanted to move the target to 500 yards and he said yes.
We put up our man torso AR500 target and set the rear sight to 500. His first shot went high and slightly left. Wind was 5 mph left to right. I had him adjust the rear sight and with his second shot he hit the target dead center. That raised a lot of eyebrows. Mike has never shot farther than 80 yards in his life. But he can follow instructions well. He fired so many shots that we had to re-paint the target twice just to be able to call the fall of shot.
Mike fired another couple of clips and he was able to get 90% hits on the 500 yards target. He did what most "new" shooters do,jerk the trigger,flinch,cant the sights,etc. But, he was able to say, "I caused that".
The smile on Mikes face made it all worth while. The long drive home was filled with him talking about his new M1 Rifle and the fact he could hit a man torso target at 500 yards "farther than his old eyes could see". Mike joined my club and can't wait to go shooting again.
When we field stripped his rifle we saw that his rifle was an Army Armorer Squad Accurizied Rifle. The rifle is made in 1955.These were made by a armorer for use in non-Match modified Army competitions. Standard sights and non-glassed stock,but the parts were hand selected for fit. The barrel was air gauged, the bolt,op-rod and trigger group were"Match" stamped. He is doing research on the rifles markings to see if he can find out where/who may have done it. Mike is a happy camper.
Attachment:
Mike M1 500 yards.jpg
Mike M1 500 yards.jpg [ 1.68 MiB | Viewed 365 times ]

500 yard target,2ND painting.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:10 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Great job and great report! :thumb:

Jess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:47 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

That's cool, I know from the vintage matches I run that when you find someone who can follow a few simple instructions and call their shots it is very rewarding and they can very quickly get up to speed. I found that I was pretty quickly able to get a group of newbies functional with about half an hour of instruction on the M1 including sling usage. Very fun.

Frank

Vintage Military Match results and info at: oldrustyguns.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:37 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:16 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Neat-o. Thanks for putting up this story.

CDFingers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:04 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Mike's a really lucky guy - a great rifle and a great neighbor. :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:40 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

That is awesome! Last month I took a friend who is a huge WW2 buff and grew up in NJ with very little experience with firearms to the range with an M1. It took a few rounds to dial him in as he was anticipating, but when he hit it he didn't miss again with the remaining rounds. After that he consistently hit at the 300,400 and 500. The look on his face was priceless. On the ride home he was calling his friends to tell them all about it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:51 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

That story made me smile.

Thanks Rapid!