Scope ring torque

fafenman

Scope ring torque

Post by fafenman »

Recently purchased a Ruger American with a factory installed weaver scope base. I am installing a Leupold scope and Leupold Rifleman aluminum rings. I can't find any torque specs for these rings. Does anyone know what they are? I need the torque specs for the screws that hold the lower half of the rings to the base and the specs for the screws on the upper half of the rings. Thanks in advance.

Ghoulardi

Re: Scope ring torque

Post by Ghoulardi »

here is what I did to secure the upper half of the scope ring to the lower half of the scope ring, I put a bit of non permanent LOC-TITE on the threads and snugged it up tight to the lower half. that was over 20 years ago and it hasn't budged

as for securing the rings to the mount, don't have spec for that, what I did was to snug it up tight,
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

fafenman

Post by fafenman »

Ghoulardi,
Thanks for the response. The method you suggested is what I have used for several scopes I have installed over the years. It has been a time proven method that appears to work quite well. This time I thought I would "attempt" to play by the rules, even went so far as to purchase the little torque screw driver thingy and was hoping to give it a try and do it the so called proper way. Appreciate you taking the time to help. Thanks again.

Ghoulardi

Post by Ghoulardi »

just a suggestion, but why don't you E-MAIL LEUPOLD and asked them the torque for the screws.
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

fafenman

Post by fafenman »

Ghoulardi,
Thanks again. I emailed Leupold. They answered in two hours with the specs I needed. I was impressed by their quick response. Just incase anyone else needs this information it was 18in/lbs for both the ring to base and ring section screws.

Return to “General Firearms Topics”