Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

storing ammo

ArkSlim
United States of America

storing ammo

#1 Post by ArkSlim » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:35 pm

I feel that it is important to keep some ammo on hand for several reasons but the question is how long can you keep ammo and what is necessary to store it? Hope I have been clear on the topic. THANKS

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: storing ammo

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:32 pm

Get a great condition, almost new, military ammo can and fill it with ammo and keep it at a some what normal temp. Not in a humid cave. Not in a garage where it is 120 degrees in the summer and -20 in the winter. Think hoarder. Generally you may want to maintain 500 rounds per used caliber for the firearms you shoot. Buy in large amounts when it is on sale or free shipping to boot.
I got stuff from 20 years ago and is originally surplus from 1938 and it all goes bang. Get a nice metal ammo can. If you are worried, then get two different sizes and the filled smaller one can go into the larger- double ammo cans. Sort of overkill, but a friend's basement flooded and his ammo
stayed dry in the double cans. They certainly did not float away. :lol: :lol: I store them on the floor, not up high. Air & water tight. The only problem
at our age is weight- those suckers filled are heavy. The tall boys I filled 20 years ago I can not even move, back in the day I could carry them. :violin:

Lots of other suggestions on line:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOXVqTf1GO0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLt1lwM ... 5A&index=2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvVH9paRk9o

Write ups:
https://www.pewpewtactical.com/ammo-storage-tips/
https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/h ... mmo/249745
https://offgridsurvival.com/ammostorage/
https://www.survivalsullivan.com/ammo-storage-101/

And on, and on ... do a search. The stored ammo will outlast you and me. In the future, ammo may be better than cash.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#3 Post by Ghoulardi » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:54 pm

^^this

the key is to keep the ammo in a relative constant normal temperature and in a normal humidity, 50-60 percent, ammo cans are the best for storing ammo.

if you are fortunate to have a basement, that is the perfect environment to store it. that is where I store my ammo, I store mine off the floor on a wood pallet and put a wood board between the cans if it's stacked more then 1 high
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:03 pm

I have a friend in MO that stores his ammo in a dug -out earthen tornado shelter. Actually it was dug into an Indian mound at the turn of the century ,(opps I should say 1900). Sandy Flat lands in East Prairie, Mississippi County, Missouri. He keeps the ammo cans in plastic ice chests and in the shelter which maintains about 65 degrees from the earth. No basement for the old wood house.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:15 pm

NO PLASTIC CHEEP AMMO CAN- USGI somewhat recent, not WW II, ones with a good rubber seal. The newer the better, no rust buckets.

TNGhost
United States of America

#6 Post by TNGhost » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:10 am

ArkSlim wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:35 pm
I feel that it is important to keep some ammo on hand for several reasons but the question is how long can you keep ammo and what is necessary to store it? Hope I have been clear on the topic. THANKS
Stored in ammo cans, or even the original cases/packaging, and kept dry at a moderate stable temperature, your ammo will easily outlast you.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:30 am

Large swings in temperatures can cause condensation to build if stored improperly. You want air flow to replace the air in the room at least every once a day.
My ammunition is stored underground in a vault where the temperatures only varies 15 degrees F from summer to winter. Moisture is less than 40% and I do use a Fan/ Air Ionizer which greatly stops any sort of corrosion to build up.
When possible, the ammo is stored in ammo cans with a good rubber seal or original boxes/packs on a shelf well off of the floor
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#8 Post by RWS » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:37 am

Condensation may render the ammo unusable and kill primers but it's heat (over 80 degrees F) that breaks down the nitrocellulose in the powder and can make the ammo dangerous to shoot. The hotter the temperature, the faster the powder will break down. 50-70 degrees storage is ideal but always choose cold storage over hot if those are the only 2 choices you have.

-Bob

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#9 Post by Tommy Atkins » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:31 am

Military ammo can with a good seal.
NO cardboard, the stuff is a wick for moisture. If you must box use plastic boxes.
Mine lives under my reloading bench in a climate controlled residence.
If you're the really nervous type get one of those big silica gel dryer packs from online & drop it in there.
I have some from the 1960's thats still fine. The biggest enemy of old ammo is poor storage before you ever get it.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#10 Post by Ghoulardi » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:56 pm

Tommy Atkins wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:31 am
Military ammo can with a good seal.
while that is #1 thing to check, there is another thing that people don't check, and assume it is all good to go. they usually are, but in some cases, they're not, that is the bottom of the can. where the bottom plate seam is

if you have a can that has seen better days, but the seal is good, the bottom may not be air tight seal. I had a few cans like that, the way I check is I fill up the bath tub with 4 inched of water, place the cans in there and then after a couple hours take the can out and open. I had a few that water leaked in, if water leaks in so can air.

easy fix for that is smear silicone on the inside all along the seam. then check again :D
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

Return to “General Firearms Topics”