Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

My new to me Ruger P89

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

My new to me Ruger P89

#1 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:53 pm

Anyone here have affection for the Ruger P Series pistols? I admit that back in their day, I never really gave them a second look. 30 years later, I find the clunky and chunky lines appealing. I couldn't resist picking up this P89DC for under $200. I suppose I'm late to the party, but to me these represent tremendous value. I like that this is the decock-only version, and despite conventional wisdom, I think it handles well in comparison with its contemporaries. From what I've read, these have always offered top-level reliability at a low price point. I'd much rather have this used example at $185 than any new pistol available for that amount. I suppose I'm getting Ruger-itis, as this is the fourth Ruger handgun I've acquired in the last year and a half, after having zero in all the years prior. I believe that these P-series guns will continue to increase in value, if not exactly collectability. I think a lot of people were turned off from bidding on this one due to some pitting and corrosion on the slide. It appears that it was neglected, but not abused. I think it cleaned up well, and I'm happy with my new addition!
Attachments
Ruger P89DC (3).JPG
Ruger P89DC (4).JPG
Ruger P89DC (5).JPG
Last edited by PennsylvaniaRifleman on Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m47dragon
United States of America

Re: My new to me Ruger P89

#2 Post by m47dragon » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:39 pm

I’ve shot my brother-in-law’s P-85 on several occasions. Robust but very accurate and pleasant to shoot. I actually prefer the grip and feel of it as compared to the Ruger American 9mm. It ate everything that it was fed with no issues. They can be had for a good bargain.

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

#3 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:58 pm

Thanks dragon--I'm looking forward to shooting it, I'll update with a range report once I've tried it out. I like the "robust" description, that nails it.

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

#4 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:35 pm

Here it is with some of its DA/SA 9mm contemporaries. It makes even the Sig P226 feel rather svelte!
Attachments
DA-SA 9mm Service pistols (6).JPG
DA-SA 9mm Service pistols (2).JPG
DA-SA 9mm Service pistols (1).JPG

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by RWS » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:41 am

Clunky, accurate, reliable, & nice triggers. The P-89 and earlier P-85 are tough, very well-made, and represent the best value in a $200 pistol. My opinion only, YMMV.

Also, Mec-Gar makes 17-round mags for them that fit flush with the bottom of the grip.

-Bob

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

#6 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:31 pm

RWS wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:41 am
Clunky, accurate, reliable, & nice triggers. The P-89 and earlier P-85 are tough, very well-made, and represent the best value in a $200 pistol. My opinion only, YMMV.

Also, Mec-Gar makes 17-round mags for them that fit flush with the bottom of the grip.

-Bob
Agreed on all counts! And I did pick up a pair of Mec-Gar 17 round mags, as it came with a Clinton-era 10 rounder. Here's the mags with some of my old Federal 9BPLE ammo. I acquired a quantity of this hot stuff (for free), but really don't like firing +P+ ammo in most of my pistols. The Ruger seems tailor-made for it, over-engineered in the Ruger style. During pressure testing of the P85, Ruger screwed and welded a metal rod into a barrel, leaving just enough space to chamber a round. They then fired the pistol. The only "damage" was the extractor was blown off (it had to since it was the only exit available to the gas and molten extruded case). The barrel and extractor were replaced, and the pistol resumed testing without a hiccup. They also cut off the entire right side of a slide below the ejection port, effectively making a one-sided slide. The pistol functioned fine and shot thousands of rounds in that condition.
Attachments
Ruger P89 Mec-Gar mags (1).JPG

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

#7 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:38 pm

These pictures demonstrate the "overbuilt" quality of these pistols--a side-by-side chamber-end view with a Sig P226 barrel, and a top view of the slide. The pictures don't actually do justice to the differences able to be noted when handling them in person. In no way am I insinuating that this makes the P89 "better" than the Sig, just demonstrating why they are so often described as clunky, wide, strong, over-engineered, "built like tanks," etc. etc.
Attachments
Ruger P89 thickness.JPG
Ruger P89 and Sig P226 chambers.JPG

shoot4fun
United States of America

#8 Post by shoot4fun » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:35 am

Love the old P serires Rugers!

Enjoy and Safe shooting!

Return to “General Firearms Topics”