Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Home Rolled Solvent

shoggoth80
United States of America

Home Rolled Solvent

#1 Post by shoggoth80 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:03 pm

Hey all.
Just sharing this. It's a mix I originally found for black powder cleanup... but I've also used it on my bolt guns, and would probably work ok on anything that passes corrosive ammo through it. It's equal parts Murphy oil soap, isopropyl alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide. Cheap to make, a bottle lasts a good long while, smells good.
20190821_155626.jpg

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Re: Home Rolled Solvent

#2 Post by indy1919a4 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:11 pm

I like the mixture. Why is it better then just Water???

shoggoth80
United States of America

#3 Post by shoggoth80 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:20 pm

Alcohol should cut the worst of the crud, at 50% Iso, it's also 50% water to help flush the corrosive salts, and the oil soap makes up another component of water and soap. So when it evaporates, it leaves a light coat of oil. Or so I'm told. I'm guessing the peroxide has a fouling removal quality to it. I've used it on used guns I've bought that were "cleaned" prior top sale, and still pulled out a bunch of gunk with this mix. See my thread in Czech Rifles regarding my 98/22 to see how much more this stuff pulled outta the grooves. Can also use indoors without your lady getting on your case because of strong solvent smells. Lol.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by Rapidrob » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:26 am

Hydrogen peroxide while safe on Barrel Browning can change the color of a blued gun. It is used in home brew Cold bluing and if left on the Blued parts will darken or streak the colors if left on the surface for an hour.
Just be aware of that.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

shoggoth80
United States of America

#5 Post by shoggoth80 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:15 am

Yeah this stuff doesn't sit long. Wet, scrub, wet, dry patch, oil. I've thought about modifying it to alcohol, and oil soap only, just because peroxide has the potential if neglected.

Return to “General Firearms Topics”