Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Old surplusrifle.com Files

lapriester
United States of America

Old surplusrifle.com Files

#1 Post by lapriester » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:54 am

I sent these to Admin but have never seen them surface here. I found these as raw zip files several years ago after the owner of the original Site died. They were sold to some entity that never republished them and the original owners copyright can still be found within them. It essentially says you can copy any of the files for personal use but you can't sell them. I extracted the raw zip files and organized and titled them according to the firearms discussed. There are tons of assembly, disassembly, history, reloading data stuff here that I doubt you may find elsewhere for some pretty unique and rare firearms. I personally didn't change or modify any of the data and some of the disassembly/assembly instructions are a bit more caveman than I would suggest. So, if it seems to say use a hammer and you can do it with a rubber mallet, use the mallet. Your choice.

Here they are. Enjoy: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kh9guf4wvgqt ... jVKra?dl=0

Larry

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: Old surplusrifle.com Files

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:03 am

Some of the old forum history is here.
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=2203

:text-goodpost:

Very well organized- Thanks for your efforts. Your organized PDFs are Easier to get at, than through the Wayback machine.
These still are copyrighted so readers please do not utilize in a post direct, just reference them. Mr. Magnum was a primary figure in 2001 during the second great surplus rifle craze and he provided on line information & created the early forum.
While Dated material, it is still informative and free to view. Many better books have come onto the market in the last 20 years that provide up to date information and improved picture references, but cost some cash to own.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

slowbob2
United States of America

#3 Post by slowbob2 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:25 pm

A lot of that information really should be put to rest , it was really bad . Most of the reloading articles and shooting articles were all pure BS . The guy who wrote those was the local range fool . He was one of the worst reloaders and shooters we ever had at the local range and weekly matches . The guy could not keep 5 shots on the target at 100 yards with military rifles , but in his articles he was amazing [ he shot those " 100 yard "targets at 15 yards ] . His article on the " custom rifle build " is a real joke . In the real world the scope was mounted crooked , he bedded the barrel and free floated the action , the stock was warped , and it could never shoot straight . It ended up being traded to a local shop where it was scrapped for parts . The guy was one of the major sources of just pure crap information and lies on the internet . I was there and saw it all in person .

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:57 pm

Slowbob 2 Thanks for the input. Yes this is a good warning, they are dated and some provide bad news/information. There is a wide variety of different authors. Jamie Magnum did most of the take down & reassembly ones- the ones most might still find useful.

But others, like the two you mentioned are by Mark Trope - reloading & custom build. Readers, please remember these are some 20 years old. Most are by unknown authors. There are lots of different authors that wrote these short articles-most were never intended to be research material. Furthermore, there are never any academic references cited as to where information originated. So be warned, take all written information with a grain of salt. This was all very early, home grown internet stuff. Most would find fault with the bayonets, C&R, Target shooting, and duracoat folders.

Also remember to do a search for a particular firearm when looking for assembly & disassembly instructions. There are many fine You Tube videos that a more detailed & current.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#5 Post by Tommy Atkins » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:45 am

DISCLAIMER:
"Just because its on the interweb does not necessarily mean it is truthful": John Moses Browning!

slowbob2
United States of America

#6 Post by slowbob2 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:55 am

It is not just that the info is " dated " , it was just lies and bad info by a person of very low intelligence who had no idea what he was doing . When all his tools and rifles when for sale after his passing it was a mess . All the tools , dies , measuring tools were broken as he did not know how to use them . All the rifles and pistols had bulged barrels , leaded to the max from his " lead free " loads , messed up scopes and mounts and so on . The sad part was 10 years of internet articles full of lies telling people how great he was and how to do this to their own firearms and tools . It is damage that will never go away and make others stupid for years to come . We did stop him from spreading his BS at the local range to new shooters ,but he then switched to the internet and was free to do as he wished .

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#7 Post by Tommy Atkins » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:49 pm

He is deceased.
Please let him RIP.

Return to “General Firearms Topics”