Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Century buys SSporters

roverboy
United States of America

Re: Century buys SSporters

#16 Post by roverboy » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:48 pm

I hate to see Springfield Sporters gone too. I hadn't heard about this. They always had some good stuff. So does Numrich.

roverboy
United States of America

#17 Post by roverboy » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:49 pm

72 usmc wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:20 pm
As we all get old and sick things change. Springfield Sporters was always a great source of parts and they were just starting to get computerized. Then illness struck. Century was always so-so in my book. They seemed to send out garbage rifles on non FFL orders. I gave up on them around 2002 and always went with Todd at Family for complete firearm purchases. Back in the day, out of 10-12 boxed rifles at Century you would find one that actually fit the condition code as marked on the box. The old 2000 joke was "Centuries 'Good' was not too good". The boxes marked "Excellent" were very good to good condition at best. Sort of a joke at the Fleet & Farm stores in WI back in the day. You would find one rifle out of a Century shipment of 20 boxes that was worth purchase. I foresee a 200-300 % mark up and the usual high shipping costs. Too bad IMA, Libertytreecollectors, or Apex did not buy the parts and part rifles. I see the $29 Brazilian bayonets Liberty purchased from Springfield sporters are now $60. So ends an era. :violin: :violin: :violin:
The best source for parts has ended. Sad, very sad!
As time winds on, I see the the old days of restoring or reconstructing incomplete or sporterized military surplus rifles on the cheap are over for good. Bolt at $100 + , original intact stocks at $250-400, screws at 10 -20 bucks per screw... its nuts. As us old guys die, the market will be flooded with prime condition rifles that come out of the wood work with far less younger collectors buying or shooting milsurps. Gun shows are becoming geriatric wards- with far to few 20-40 year old collectors.
A friend bought 3 Israeli K98 rifles about 10 years ago from Century and he said one was barely restoreable.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#18 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:32 pm

I just got an email from Century. Interesting:
Parts seem to be organized in a hap hazard manner, not by rifle type/model like springfield was doing. Maybe Century will get their act together... :doh: :think:
Century Arms Acquires Surplus Company Springfield Sporters

Delray Beach, Fla. – (August 21, 2019) – Century Arms has recently acquired the surplus company Springfield Sporters and all of its assets. The company was well known in the surplus space for hard-to-find surplus parts and collectible surplus firearms and had grown to become one of the largest surplus military parts suppliers in the U.S.A.

“Springfield Sporters and Century Arms have a lot of history together, as both were founded in 1961, over 58 years ago,” said Century VP William Sucher. “Although early on we originally competed with each other, over the years Springfield Sporters developed into one of Century’s best customers. We will strive to continue the Rodgers family legacy by offering the same authentic surplus products and the amazing customer service Springfield Sporters has become known for.”

The Century Arms Surplus team is in the process of cataloging all of Springfield Sporters’ inventory and has already shipped hundreds of pallets back to Century’s facility. During this process, the Century team has found numerous rare firearms, spare parts, and accessories, some of which have been in storage for decades. These products will all be posted to the Surplus Corner section of Century’s website (www.centuryarms.com) as they are sorted. Quantities of these items will be begin appearing immediately in the Surplus Corner, every day for the next few months. Dealers are encouraged to check back frequently as the Century Surplus team is diligently adding these products to the Surplus Corner every day, but what will be available and in what quantities has yet to be finalized.

About Century Arms

Born over 50 years ago with its roots in the surplus business, Century Arms has an extensive history of providing unique and affordable products to the American Collector, Hunter, and Target Shooter. That tradition is carried on today, with a state of the art manufacturing facility located in the U.S.A, as the company continues to offer unique, innovative, and quality products to the U.S. Consumer and U.S. Government under the Century Arms, Canik, U.S. Palm and Red Army Standard brands.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#19 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:56 pm

I got the same email.
But rifles and parts started turning up online last month. The only order century seems to be using is alphabetical.
Though they have started using some of the parts oics from the old s sportes site.
I know its a huge thing. Springfield took of for a couple years to get organized and build the website.
Too bad they couldn't catch a break, or keep up with the times.
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

capt14k
United States of America

#20 Post by capt14k » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:13 pm

Anyone have prices for current century surplus rifles being offered.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#21 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:45 pm

Just checked, most is 200, to 2 grand.
399 for a complet 1903 springfield action. I paid 90 bucks in 1990 for mine with a milled tg.
They do have quite a few guns listed.
Too many to screen shot.
Lookinh for something in particular?
I will check for you.
Management

capt14k
United States of America

#22 Post by capt14k » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:47 pm

Charles Lipscomb wrote:Just checked, most is 200, to 2 grand.
399 for a complet 1903 springfield action. I paid 90 bucks in 1990 for mine with a milled tg.
Too many to screen shot.
I will check for you.
I will check in about 20 min.

capt14k
United States of America

#23 Post by capt14k » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:13 pm

Charles Lipscomb wrote:Just checked, most is 200, to 2 grand.
Too many to screen shot.
I will check for you.
Just the Mexican Mauser and the 1939 660 if you could. I much appreciate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#24 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:09 pm

Just the one mexican model 1910.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190825-190621_Chrome.jpg
Management

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#25 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:15 pm

And two pre war Mausers...
Attachments
Screenshot_20190825-191318_Chrome.jpg
Management

capt14k
United States of America

#26 Post by capt14k » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:31 pm

Thank you. Seems Century is working on a retail plus model. That Mexican Mauser is about double what it is worth.

Zeliard
United States of America

#27 Post by Zeliard » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:19 pm

Dang. Too bad Apex couldn't have gotten the stock.
Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#28 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:35 pm

Management

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#29 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:47 pm

:banana-dance: :banana-dreads: :banana-explosion: :banana-angel: :banana-blonde: :banana-tux: :banana-wrench:

Thanks for the photo archives Charles, I am going to print these out. Fantastic references of a past time.
I may repost these on the forum so they stay as a record if the links go dead. Right now I got to trade some ammo to a rich budy so I can get $50 for color ink. :clap:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#30 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:07 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :dance: :clap: :dance:
Glad to do it.
Management

Return to “General Firearms Topics”