Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

What pistol to get?

nrobertb
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

What pistol to get?

#1 Post by nrobertb » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:04 am

I am starting to think about looking for a used pistol with these characteristics: revolver, .38 special cal., 2 or 4 inch barrel, 6 shot, regular hammer. Any suggestions as to make or model?

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: What pistol to get?

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:00 am

A nice quality revolver is the Smith & Wesson Model 642CT in 38 Special 0r 38P . Called the AIRWEIGHT with 2 inch barrel and hidden hammer with a Crimson trace grip it costs approximately $590- 690. Fits right in a coat pocket or small vest or hip holster. Or it fits under the pillow or outside sleeping bag. Perfect for small caliber CC or fishing/hunting or travel to the big city trips. It is double action only and has a snag free enclosed hammer. Barrel length for my up close model is 1.9 inches. Weight is light at 15 oz. Go to an indoor range where they rent pistols and fire one- you will buy it, if you desire an easy to carry snub nose. It shoots easy, and more than a few of the gals love this pistol with the laser at the indoor range. I like it cause its so small. You see these used, at gun shows or shops sometimes lacking the tracer grip, but a correct Crismon brand Grip with a laser can be purchased at any shop as an add on. Generally because its S & W, the used price is high, i'd just get a new one on sale. 637 has an outside hammer that snags on pockets or cc purses. They sell them with outside hammers if that is your cup of tea. You can practice with cheep 38, but carry hollow points P. CHECK IT OUT. Here is the hammer version:
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/smith-w ... n-revolver
REVIEW
https://www.guns.com/news/review/3060117-2

IT is Not .357, too much of a bark for most of the people. +P is also noticeable in this small revolver. Gals do not like this ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Y2SFfvtX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdIjLD0v7K

Some like the awkward Ruger, more on the economical side. Like a comparison between a Craftmans tool vs a Snap On ( I'll take S&W or Colt all day long):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xveO2UTCjI

Now if you want a fire fight, use a USGI 45 auto or a Russian Tokarev loaded up with some hot Czech ammo, with some spare mags. :doh: :doh: A nice truck pistol.

Now for target practice with a longer barrel and a nice surplus revolver I will take a used Webley 38/200. Perfect enjoyment for shooting. Not for CC or a truck pistol.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Hammerdown
United States of America

#3 Post by Hammerdown » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:05 pm

The S&W model 15 is a very nice pistol with everything you're looking for and can be had for a decent price.
Captain Obvious, you have never failed me!

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#4 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:10 pm

I got a S&W model 10 in 38 special with a 4" bull barrel with fixed sights. Not state of the art, but a classic revolver. I believe there are tons of them out in use. It does hit what it aims at and I'm no great shot.

Best Regards,

Mark

BTW, there is always the 1892 8mm Lebel French Revolver. Nothing beats your cylinder flopping out to the right instead of left. That's all character and then some.

Reverend Mauser
United States of America

#5 Post by Reverend Mauser » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:02 pm

Sounds like you're aching for a Smith Model 10.

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

#6 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:10 pm

I second Mark's recommendation of a 4" bull-barreled Model 10. I love mine. To me it's the epitome of a service revolver. Here's mine...
Attachments
S&W Model 10-6 (1).JPG

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#7 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:06 pm

Wow, mine is a well worn police turn in but, it is mechanically in great shape with a pristine bore. I'll take function over form most any time. My gun book says, "The Smith and Wesson Model 10 was one of the most successful revolver designs ever." Book says about 7 million were produced, with 6 million going to police departments. Do hold out for the bull barrel and you won't be disappointed with its form or function. The bull barrel is the way to go.

Damn, a speed loader, I am not worthy. Oh, a holster too. I was just happy to land one. I do literally take it out when I question my shooting ability and it hits what it aims at....in single action. BTW, nice grips. Mine is soooo worn.

Best Regards,

Mark

One last option is the old S&W Victory model in 38S&W. Those are literally milsurps. Unfortunately, they shot a 200 grain bullet for 38S&W which is I think .002 larger than 38 special. You need the bullet mold and a .361 sizer for that one to do it right. PRVI does make ammo for around $19 a box of 50 from AIMSURPLUS when it is in stock. Other brands are considerably more expensive. The PRVI stuff is not a FMJ bullet though. I did get a mould and made a sizer for mine. I was very fortunate to find one that served in Australia during WWII. I do like shooting the Model 10 more though.

m47dragon
United States of America

#8 Post by m47dragon » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:51 pm

I happen to know of a shop in your area that often has some nice Colt Police Positive models.

nrobertb
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#9 Post by nrobertb » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:47 pm

Which shop is that?

m47dragon
United States of America

#10 Post by m47dragon » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:10 pm

Hampels...they seem to get them in fairly often.

nrobertb
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#11 Post by nrobertb » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:01 pm

Thanks for the input. I did a lot of thinking about what I wanted and why. I liked the look of the Smith & Wesson revolvers, and decided I wanted something with a bit of history, as well as a light cartridge.

I settled on this nickel plated hand ejector model in .32 long, produced during WWI. The bottom of the grips is flat, rather than their usual rounded style. I'll let you know how it shoots. I just happened to have a set of Lee loading dies for this caliber, so I'll be doing my own loading.
Attachments
pix322570302.jpg
pix322570302.jpg (27.8 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
pix295791593.jpg
pix130722668.jpg
pix047282950.jpg

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#12 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:07 pm

Decent nickel plating job for once. Nobody seems to shoot .32 caliber in a pistol, so I bet you got a decent deal. Should be an excellent gun.

Best Regards,

Mark

nrobertb
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#13 Post by nrobertb » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:09 pm

There is an indoor range within a mile of my house so I went and shot it today using the Aguila ammo. which has a 98 grain bullet. It was pretty accurate for a fixed sight gun.

I may take the concealed carry class this summer. If you have that permit, you don't have to fill out the long form to buy a pistol. Like my passport, I may never use it, but it is nice to have.

When I picked up the pistol at my FFL dealer I looked through their box of used holsters and found a nice Bianchi inside waistband holster that fit perfectly even though it was designed for a Beretta. They gave it to me free because I'm a frequent customer.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#14 Post by RWS » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:11 am

If it was manufactured during WW1 it is probably a model of 1905 3rd change as opposed to the 4th change that is far more common. Nothing wrong with the 3rd change models but they do have some differences from the 4th change revolvers.

If original to the gun, those diamond grips are very hard to find in good condition and worth more than new modern grips. Unless you are just really into the old gun vibe I suggest that you take them off and put them in storage. You can get wooden S&W Magna or Pacmayr rubber grips inexpensively for range shooting.

It was common for S&W to pencil the serial number on the inside of the right grip. You might check to see if your grips match. Also, the serial number is in 5 places on these old revolvers. On the right grip, bottom of the grip frame, underneath the barrel, on the underside of the extractor, and on the cylinder face.

Your revolver will likely be a great shooter. I have a 3rd change .38 Special made in 1919 that is a tack driver. Bear in mind that the cylinders in your revolver have not been heat-treated so don't use any hot loads (not that there are that many hot factory loadings in .32 S&W Long).

-Bob

Return to “General Firearms Topics”