Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Finally joined the .45 ACP club.

HectorFuego
United States of America

Finally joined the .45 ACP club.

#1 Post by HectorFuego » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:01 pm

There's an on-line gun seller who is actually local for me. Among other things, he buys and re-sells former LEO guns when the police, sheriff, etc departments upgrade their old firearms. He recently listed some S&W M&P 45's on his site under "Used Handguns". The compact guns were $299 and the full size guns were on sale for $249. So I pulled the trigger (pun intended) and went for the 4.5 inch barrel (full size). So it's got some "character" marks on it, kinda like any mil-surp would have, but we forum members are used to that, right? It was a little dirty, but cleaned up nicely.

Anyway, got the gun which came with one mag, 4 additional 10 round mags, paid the sales tax and $20 transfer fee, and spent a total of $347 plus a few cents. There was a little bit of a problem with one of the magazines but we're working that out. I don't expect a problem, as I've dealt with him before, and he's a quality seller. He sent one .40 cal/.357 Sig mag instead of the .45. Others were fine though, just a little scruffy. So he's mailing the correct mag to me.

If anyone is interested his site is www.summitgunbroker.com

Now I just need to get it to the range along with my wife's new S&W .380 EZ.

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Finally joined the .45 ACP club.

#2 Post by RWS » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:10 am

Great price if you ask me, and likely to be a great shooter.

I really enjoy shooting .45's. The only real issue with them (as far as I'm concerned) is that .45 hollow point ammo just doesn't expand a lot in any gun with a barrel length less than 5 inches. I did a lot of hollow point ammo testing several years ago with my 4-1/4" Colt Commander. This was shooting at 3 in-line water-filled milk jugs covered with old denim jeans.

The winner was Federal Guard Dog, which really isn't a true hollowpoint but penetrated 2 jugs and reliably expanded to .70 caliber every single time. It also functioned 100% due to its round nose profile.

Not trying to hijack your thread here Hector, but if you are just joining the .45 club then you need to know that your 4.5" barrel may not perform to your liking with hollow point ammo. Of course, FMJ-RN ammo is incredibly lethal on steel plates, beer cans, and paper targets if that's the intended role for the pistol. I hope you enjoy shooting it.

-Bob

HectorFuego
United States of America

#3 Post by HectorFuego » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:20 pm

RWS wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:10 am
Great price if you ask me, and likely to be a great shooter.

I really enjoy shooting .45's. The only real issue with them (as far as I'm concerned) is that .45 hollow point ammo just doesn't expand a lot in any gun with a barrel length less than 5 inches. I did a lot of hollow point ammo testing several years ago with my 4-1/4" Colt Commander. This was shooting at 3 in-line water-filled milk jugs covered with old denim jeans.

The winner was Federal Guard Dog, which really isn't a true hollowpoint but penetrated 2 jugs and reliably expanded to .70 caliber every single time. It also functioned 100% due to its round nose profile.

Not trying to hijack your thread here Hector, but if you are just joining the .45 club then you need to know that your 4.5" barrel may not perform to your liking with hollow point ammo. Of course, FMJ-RN ammo is incredibly lethal on steel plates, beer cans, and paper targets if that's the intended role for the pistol. I hope you enjoy shooting it.

-Bob
That's good information, Bob, but as a 71 year old, retired suburbanite accountant who buys all his pharmaceuticals from a licensed pharmacist vs a street vendor, it's unlikely HP expansion will that big a factor for me. Probably the most dangerous things I'll fact are paper silhouettes and steel plates.

Nevertheless, I'm interested in what ammo you tested. The full size M&P 45 is rated for +P ammo. Did you ever try it?

Hector

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by RWS » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:57 am

I tested:
Federal HST, Hydra-Shok, and Guard Dog
Remington Golden Saber
Winchester Ranger
MagTech Jacketed Hollow Point
PMC Starfire
Fiocchi Jacketed Hollow Point
Speer Gold Dot

Most, but not all, were 230 grain loads

I did not use any +P ammo in my testing but it would be a better self-defense choice in your S&W .45, although unnecessary since you intend to use it as a range pistol. My carry .45 is a lightweight Colt Commander with alloy frame so that was the only .45 pistol I was looking to use hollow point ammo in. Didn't want to consider testing +P ammo as it is hotter than I would want to use in a lightweight pistol. Federal Guard Dog performed spectacularly in the Commander and it is standard pressure so it has become my carry load.

Here is a link to some data that requires more than just a cursory glance to fully grasp but it is an excellent job of testing various calibers and types of ammo. Well worth looking at:
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-d ... ts/#380ACP

-Bob

HectorFuego
United States of America

#5 Post by HectorFuego » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:04 am

Bob,

Thanks for the link to that article. Great info in a concise format. :clap: :clap:

Hector

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

#6 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:57 pm

Nice pick-up. I'll be looking for a .45 full-size M&P eventually to help round out my collection. I started with an M&P 40 Detroit PD surplus (unissued), then got a .380 Bodyguard, next a 9mm Shield. I plan to next get a 2.0 compact and then a .45. I really like the M&P line!

HectorFuego
United States of America

#7 Post by HectorFuego » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:14 pm

First twenty two rounds fired offhand at 10 yards. I'd say the M&P .45 is a keeper. :D

Hector

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

#8 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:15 pm

Hector's thread here convinced me to finally pick up an M&P 45. It's a police trade-in from the Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office. Had fun taking it completely down the other night and it cleaned up real nice. I'll add some pics and hopefully a range report soon.

Pricate
United States of America

#9 Post by Pricate » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:01 am

Honestly, you can’t go wrong with Hornady In my opinion.
I love my Kinber 1911. It’s full size so I don’t have the expansion issue. We tested this ourselves with pumpkins. 😂 There was not much left. We also used 9mm Hornady out of my High Power and it was quite convincing. Still, nothing beats a 1911 in my humble opinion.

HectorFuego
United States of America

#10 Post by HectorFuego » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:59 pm

PennsylvaniaRifleman wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:15 pm
Hector's thread here convinced me to finally pick up an M&P 45. It's a police trade-in from the Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office. Had fun taking it completely down the other night and it cleaned up real nice. I'll add some pics and hopefully a range report soon.
That's great. Did you get the 4" or 4.5" barrel? If it's anything like mine there have been enough rounds through it to break it in.

So far mine has gobbled up any type of 230 gr. FMJ ammo that I've tried. Just finished firing 100 rounds of cheap steel cased Tula ammo from AIM and there wasn't a single hiccup. I was shooting at the USPSA target at 10 yards and only had two no-scores. Most were A's and C's with a few D's. Even had scores shooting weak hand only. Of course if there had been any "no-shoots" overlayed on my target I'd have killed some innocent paper bystanders, but it still was a better outing than the last time I tried it. This time I practiced the "Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast" thing which helped improve my fundamentals.

If you are needing some extra mags for your M&P, contact my guy at summitgunbroker. He sells used ones in good shape for $15 plus $5 shipping. I just bought another 3 from him and it cost me $50 plus Missouri sales tax. Considering a new one is about $40 that's a really good price.

Based on the luckygunner article, I picked up some Federal 230 gr HST's for self defense ammo. They seem to have good all around performance in everything from 9 mm to 45 ACP. Only thing they don't seem to work well in is the .380 ACP, but all the tests I've seen have been with guns having a sub 3" barrel so velocity required for expansion my be compromised.

Looking forward to your range report and pics.

Hector

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

#11 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:51 pm

No range report yet--I'm hoping to get there Monday. It's a 4.5" barrel. Here it is with my other M&Ps.
P.S. I agree with you on the HSTs. Awesome performing round...
Attachments
S&W M&P family (1).JPG
S&W M&P family (2).JPG
S&W M&P family (5).JPG

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

#12 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:54 pm

Here's the Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office markings. Pretty neat...
Attachments
S&W M&P family (3).JPG

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

#13 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:05 pm

As mentioned above, HST is my go-to choice for defensive ammo in semi-auto pistols. I use it in every caliber except .380, where I prefer the Speer Gold Dot.
Attachments
IMG_1635.JPG

Return to “General Firearms Topics”